What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my Nepenthes "Miranda" x maxima doesn't look good

Hey guys,

Reopening this thread as I am still not sure if my plant is ok or not. For sure is not dead, it's green and having more and more leaves. But still no pitchers!! I arranged some lights, the temperatures are high, also natural light is available, use distilled water only. I don't understand why no pitchers. The good news is that a baby plant has risen and the first leave has a pitcher which is developing well. Below some photos with the plant, baby plant and pitchers that are not gowing.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks

34illie.jpg

30i7ts3.jpg

a0z0c7.jpg

335fwg3.jpg

Hmm N. Maxima usually pitchers well in varying conditions; but N. Miranda, for me at least, only pitchered with bright light & humidity 65% & up. Otherwise it would show nice growth in leaves with no pitchers. I don't have much experience with Mirandas except for the single one I had years ago but it grew huge before I figured out how to get matching huge pitchers out of it. By bright light I mean that I switched it from sunlight + fluorescents to straight metal halide 150Watt.

Hello again. I get back to this thread to update you, unfortunately can't add photos from my mobile. After a hot summer, only now in sep-oct my Miranda developed her first pitchers since a year or so. Meanwhile, a basal shoot grew bigger and bigger producing small pitchers constantly but also constantly they died.

Question now is, should I repot this basal shoot which has now like 7 leaves and 2 pitchers, other 3 dead? Is probably overwhelmed under the big miranda.

If yes, how can I do it without harming any of the 2 plants?

Thanks.

I think u need to mist your plant and its pitchers everyday day/night about 2 times or so and you'll notice with a temp drip at night from your day temps you'll see pitchers that will last longer when emerged.

Misting the plant with water provides a humidity boost for about 15 - 20 minutes at most, which has almost no effect on the plants.

I think u need to mist your plant and its pitchers everyday day/night about 2 times or so

Every person to their own. Personally, I would trust whoever has had more experience successfully growing these plants.

More to this. Now the main plant is flowering. It's probably a male but since is the only plant I have will not be able to get viable seeds from it anyway. I just wonder if flower is the sign maybe to cut stems and propagate it. What do you think?

PS. Winter is coming, light is more artificial, temperature is not as high anymore.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Meanwhile (actually in December, winter here) I cut 8 stems from the mother plant, all of them have roots today, make new leaves easily and the 2 main vines, used for cutting, sprouted.
Also, a second baby plant raised from the soil.

What I have today is:
-the mother plant, 2 vines which sprouted after cuttings in Dec but no pitchers yet
-2 baby plants that make pitchers (the older one can keep only one pitcher)
-8 new plants from cuttings, again no sign of pitchers

Question to set my expectations: How long does it take for new plants from cuttings to make pitchers sgain? Same would apply for sprouts on main plant.
Thanks again.

My experience with cuttings is that the third leaf on the new growth point is the first one that can produce a pitcher, though I'm sure it varies by species.

I also have a cutting I'm rooting right now that is developing a pitcher on one of the existing leaves even before it has opened a new leaf on the new growth point.

My experience with cuttings is that the third leaf on the new growth point is the first one that can produce a pitcher, though I'm sure it varies by species.

I also have a cutting I'm rooting right now that is developing a pitcher on one of the existing leaves even before it has opened a new leaf on the new growth point.

Wow, I must have severe light and humidity issues if after 5 months from cutting, the new plants are not showing any sign of viable pitchers. Hate my shaded apartment.

There must be something about your conditions that is hampering pitcher production if you're having that much trouble. My N. 'Miranda' will pitcher under far less hospitable conditions than my other Nepenthes, but also tends to lose them the quickest when conditions change. My plant was even producing pitchers over the winter (though very slowly) when receiving small amounts of sunlight through an east window, constantly having dry air from a furnace vent blowing on it. I never mist my Nepenthes.

I'm curious, what sort of soil do you use and how often do you water? It looks awfully dry in your post at the top of page 3 here.

It's been a while, so hello again.
Just wanted to share with the joy I felt when all my cuttings roooted 100% and all made pitchers that are still green now in early November. Had a very long, sunny and warm summer and the effect was visible (photos below).

Since winter is coming to Romania and the lighting conditions will be poor, and also the temperature on the balcony will be around 20degrees celsius (I don't want to spend much on heating), should I better keep them dormant? Do nepenthes require to go through a dormancy period?

Also, for the spring of 2017, should I repot the cuttings?

mother plant:
a9ft5.jpg

cuttings#1:
fei1yq.jpg

cuttings#2:
20utrw8.jpg

cuttings#3:
wb460i.jpg

cuttings#4:
2wpqc5h.jpg

cutings #5:
16a30ae.jpg

Thank you!

Your plants look great. Nepenthes don't/can't go dormant. They will stay alive as long as you don't let them freeze or go dry but they may die if it is below 60 degrees F for too many months.

For the winter just keep your plants in your brightest window. Household temperatures aren't going to get cold enough to harm a plant like yours. You might get fewer pitchers over the winter as things become dimmer but they should be fine.

For the winter just keep your plants in your brightest window. Household temperatures aren't going to get cold enough to harm a plant like yours. You might get fewer pitchers over the winter as things become dimmer but they should be fine.
My first winter slowed my plant down a lot. Im positive it was the much colder temps here in Levittown NY. Even in the house it would get chilly by the windows. This week before our first cold spel i am moving it to my work location in a 90 gallon terrarium were i will post pictures of it and the temperatures
7d895ffb2f41f9698397225fa3f1e01f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your replies. They don't look that good anymore but I was expecting that, all pitchers dried out.They will not freeze for sure in my heated balcony but for sure there is nothing I can do to make them pitch again until May'17 the earliest. From the photos shared already, do you think I should repot them next year?

Last edited:
de99b4df85469effb1275b705c0e31da.jpg
well i went ahead and moved my "lady luck" into my 90 gallon terrarium/ rivertank at work. I wanted to do this because this being my second winter owning this plant I saw it "slow down" too much last winter in my freezing house. Since I cant get my wife to raise the heat in our house I want to see how the plant does over this winter in a very good environment. <br /> I have my temperature at 70/75 and humidity is 70% to 80%....This tank has live goldfish ,running water and plants growing very good..The river tank pumps water from the low side to the high side and cycles every few minutes. The waste from the gold fish feed the plants and the grow like crazy....
29515b9efc941e6618000197e6bb0a98.jpg
<br /><br />Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk<br /><br /><br /><br />

92f3502e44f3845c787272684baf8355.jpg
The new growth from this summer is busting out so i didnt want to set it back like last winter..I have 2 40watt lamps on timers and a 150 watt metal halide that only goes on at noon for about an hour.
61ce617066a41a7a0e8a26e922146085.jpg
<br /><br />Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk<br /><br /><br /><br />

ed3a67a4b00c55241ba611b49d3d7035.jpg
Heres a picture from a few feet away.<br /><br />Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk<br /><br /><br /><br />

Back