What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes at the Orchid Show (POE in San Francisco)

Jurow, the terrarium looked great and people were commenting on it when I was in that area.

I'm going to assume you did in fact pick the "$100 Nepenthes" to put in there. Current selling price is not the only measure of value.

Thanks for posting those pictures Ramon. I was a bit too busy dealing w/ the setup & sales to take any of my own.

That dark plant that "vendor #1" brought was a hybrid. It was either ramispina x ?, izumiae x ?, or maybe even izumiae x ramispina. Can't remember. Did you get a full-shot of his display table? It was awesome.

As for the orb: it's a really cool setup if you have the $$ to throw around. I donated the carnivorous plants, and since this was an orchid-focused show, beginner plants seemed like a better idea than something extremely rare/difficult.

Sorry jurow I did not take the whole display.:-(

Ramon:D

Just to update. I linked to this thread elsewhere and I noticed I had mentioned the "Orchids in the Park" as a possible partial repeat of some of these plants/vendors. I see a little info on that event is now online, but no vendor list for this year. July 25-26, County Fair Building, SF (adjacent to Styrbing, aka SF Botanical Garden).

http://www.orchidsanfrancisco.org/orchidsinthepark.html

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to mention that this show is happening again on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Fort Mason in San Francisco. It's primarily an Orchid show, but it looks like carnivorous plants will again be well represented, judging by the list of vendors.

SFOS*Pacific Orchid Expo (POE)

Yep. Drew and I will both be there again.

I finally made it there today (Sunday), after originally planning on Friday. Both "jurow" and Drew had beautiful plants for sale and in the displays, and both locations were very popular with visitors. I had to leave when some loud drumming became unbearable.

Here's "jurow's" display:

I assume this is Drew's, but I didn't get a good look at the name while I was fleeing the building.

There were Orchids, too.

An astounding show. Why were you fleeing the building? I'd never want to leave personally.

I was fleeing the building due to the deafening drumming music.

Deafening, drumming music should never be at an orchid or nepenthes show.

Glad to see I was not the only one annoyed by the drums...

Here are some close up shots from the displays:

N. macrophylla x lowii
24997980909_269ffa64d9_z_d.jpg

N. hamata
25365605025_3dc15a389a_z_d.jpg

N. 'I forgot to take a picture of the label' (first one just right of the label "31" from "jurow's" display and second one the one behind. If someone was smarter than me and have their ID...)
24997996149_3d1fb966a4_z_d.jpg

25339436156_e3c50a1e18_z_d.jpg

U. longifolia and U. sandersonii from another seller's display
25070030340_2fe4b2cc19_z_d.jpg
24735009584_35997e7918_z_d.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis in the sale section
25272575481_279124cc28_z_d.jpg

Oh and yes, there were a few orchids too.
25070016690_83b7cd88d7_z_d.jpg
25339439246_af06ee830c_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
N. 'I forgot to take a picture of the label' (first one just right of the label "31" from "jurow's" display and second one the one behind. If someone was smarter than me have their ID...)
24997996149_3d1fb966a4_z_d.jpg

Looks like N. chaniana x veitchii.

Wish I could have been there!

Back