What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nepenthes species in cultivation - N. tenuidon

Hello everyone,
Exotica Plants recently introduced a new Nepenthes species into cultivation, one which is currently in the process of being described as Nepenthes tenuidon. It is a highland plant from the Philippines and seems to be closely related to N. ventricosa and N. sibuyanensis. All the plants released were from seed.
Mine, although still just a seedling, is already a nice plant and the colours are just fantastic so far. I can't wait for this to mature. Does anyone else here have one of these? It would be great to share photos and get an idea of variation among the seedlings

20150319_123337 by jgalanis7, on Flickr

20150319_123358 by jgalanis7, on Flickr

20150319_124320 by jgalanis7, on Flickr

Are they as easy as N. ventricosa? ;)

Are they as easy as N. ventricosa? ;)

Haha I sure hope so! I've only had the plant for around 10 days, but what I can say for sure is that it seems like it hasn't skipped a beat since delivery and there's no signs of significant transplant shock. Its already put out noticeable growth

I think I might actually have a few very small seed grown ones. The seed came to me labeled as "New Species - Philipines - Similar to ventricosa/sibuyanenesis".

Mine is still a small plant. Here is all I got from this species;

Nepenthes tenuidon Suarez&Ferreras, ined. LUZON: Zambales. Inultramafic substrates at ca. 1600m altitude.

Hope this helps.

Ramon:D

Fascinating, any idea on what the exact mountain its found on is? It is likely that this is the plant from Mt. Mingan, if so here are some things to look forward to -

Has the species been officially published? If not its considered bad form to make the new species name public. No harm, no foul, just wanted to make you aware. I did something similar after the ICPS conference with a new species that is in the process of being described from Australia.

Fascinating, any idea on what the exact mountain its found on is? It is likely that this is the plant from Mt. Mingan, if so here are some things to look forward to -

Most likely Mount Tapulao (also known as High Peak) is the tallest mountain in the Zambales Mountain range and in the province of Zambales in the Philippines. The peak, which rise to an elevation of 2,037 metres (6,683 ft).

Has the species been officially published? If not its considered bad form to make the new species name public. No harm, no foul, just wanted to make you aware. I did something similar after the ICPS conference with a new species that is in the process of being described from Australia.

I think Ulysses Ferreras and Wally Suarez which are Philippine taxonomist are describing the species.

I think Ulysses Ferreras and Wally Suarez which are Philippine taxonomist are describing the species.

I believe you are correct. In fact, today I found a thread started by Wally himself in another CP forum, where he states that there are less than 30 flowering individuals of this species left in the wild, with the entire population being restricted to just a few square meters of habitat. He says it's one of the most endangered species in the world, but he plans to reintroduce his seed-grown plants back into the wild at another more protected location close to the original native site.
His posts also include great images of the mature plants in their habitat. I'm not sure what the rules are on here about posting links to other forums, so I won't do it

Just because they're in the process of describing it doesn't mean it has been officially described. I'd say posting the name at this point is bad mojo.

Back