What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Upper Internode Buds

Hey guys, hoping some experiences Nepenthes growers can settle something for us!

As everyone knows, lower internode buds grow into plants with normal, lower pitchers. But what we're not sure of are the upper internode buds. We've heard some people say they'll only ever grow upper pitchers, so if you cut them and grow them you'll basically only have boring pitchers (species dependant, of course).

Can anyone that's had experience cutting and growing upper internode buds shed some light on this

Thanks! :)

sometimes the upper buds form an intermediate looking pitcher or two. but they will likely go to uppers pretty quick

upper cuttings also sometimes make an inermediate or two. but not always

Thanks for that :) Do you know if the basals the cutting eventually sends off grow lowers?

Yes, the basals will produce lowers till they begin to vine.

to add to that, if the basal is on a mature/vining plant, it tends to mature and vine much faster than the mother plant did. so, you usually dont get too many lowers out of them
on the plus side, they will also form big, mature lowers much faster than the mother did

I have recently cut my M. Trichocarpa into several cuttings. All of the leaves had upper pitchers on them. An older upper cutting has just started to grow, so I guess we'll see what kind of pitchers it makes.

I can now confirm that my N. Trichocarpa cutting makes upper pitchers. The cutting was taken from a mother plant who produced uppers on the part that was cut off. I still have a number of stem cuttings that haven't sprouted yet (although there are roots that are growing from the soil up!).

Back