What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month for All Pitcher Plants?

Has anyone thought of moving pitcher of the month to general discussions so that all 4 pitchers (5 if you count Darlingtonia) can be submitted?

Has anyone thought of moving pitcher of the month to general discussions so that all 4 pitchers (5 if you count Darlingtonia) can be submitted?

It would be more meaningful to segregate each genus into its own competition or you end up comparing apples to oranges, IMO.

It would be more meaningful to segregate each genus into its own competition or you end up comparing apples to oranges, IMO.
I agree but having four competitions would be more work for mods and I can't see cephs, helis, and Darlingtonia getting monthly submissions (only because less people grow them than neps and sarrs)

I agree but having four competitions would be more work for mods and I can't see cephs, helis, and Darlingtonia getting monthly submissions (only because less people grow them than neps and sarrs)

Indeed, maybe there won't be enough submissions to create a viable competition, but you won't know for sure till you attempt it; the proof - as they say - will be in the pudding.

Indeed, maybe there won't be enough submissions to create a viable competition, but you won't know for sure till you attempt it; the proof - as they say - will be in the pudding.
Well, I guess the best thing to do is do a trial run then :)

There already is the Plant of the Month contest in the General Discussion sub forum. Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Sarracenia and Nepenthes can and are entered there. Depending on the growers latitude Darlingtonia and Sarracenia can be dormant from 3-5 months out of the year and won't be growing very interesting pitchers during this time. And most Sarracenia have their best pitcher growth in late spring and early summer - maybe a 3-4 month window. A Cephalotus of the Month contest was tried and lasted maybe 3-6 months before people lost interest.

One could ask why have a separate Tropical Pitcher Plant subforum in the first place? Sheer numbers for one. Look at the number of posts in the Tropical vs Pitcher plant subforums. Then look at the number of posts on Heliamphora, Cephalotus and Darlingtonia combined vs Sarracenia. Secondly even among CP growers Nepenthes enthusiasts tend to stand out.

Last edited:
Agree with NaN - it's already there. Even with it being very inclusive (all CP & non-CPs), it's still not overrun with entries. Is there something specific about that competition that keeps you from entering?

Historically across several fora, there has been only a Nepenthes Pitcher of the Month competition. Several folks on this forum wanted to post some of their other plants too, so we created a Plant of the Month to give it a shot and see if response was good enough to keep it running. Since it was, we keep the historical Nepenthes Pitcher of the Month where it began, and also the Plant of the Month competition in the General Forum for everything else, but also Nepenthes plants if one is so inclined to post their Nepenthes there too.

Plants other than Nepenthes don't have such a massive following as Nepenthes do, unless you're on a e.g. Sarracenia-specialized or Dionaea-specialized forum.

@RL7836 nah, just when I see pitcher, I think of sarrs and neps so I thought why not put those two together if we're looking at pitchers, but I have no particular reason for not posting on the other one, just simple musings

Last edited:
Back