What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neps as epiphytes?

• Thread starter Acro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
How does one grow Neps as an epiphyte?

I have absolutely no experience with this, but I would assume that you would have to germinate the seeds on a suitable surface, since nep roots aren't known for readily clinging to exposed new surfaces when moved...I don't think they adjust well to a root-over-rock bonsai type approach. I can say, however, that high humidity and moist conditions will be a must, otherwise the roots will dry out and die within a matter of days. You could always cheat though, and cleverly disguise a pot under a bed of moss on a branch :-D

Last edited:
I would imagine that this would be a viable method of growing many types of Nepenthes. This would be especially true for the species that are known to primarily grow as epiphytes in the wild. One might expect that it may grow slower or be smaller in general than if it were to have more room for its roots to expand. Keeping the humidity high would certainly be a top priority if you were to try growing a plant this way.

One might expect that it may grow slower or be smaller in general than if it were to have more room for its roots to expand.
I don't know about this. A tree trunk or branch covered with mosses, epiphytic ferns, orchids and general detritus would be an ideal place for all those thin black roots to wander. Whenever, I see those N. hamata roots popping out of half-dead LFS or climbing the condensation-soaked glass, I'm reminded of how cool it would be to have one growing epiphytically. I suspect that once established, it would grow like a weed.

That's true, I was just thinking you might need a somewhat large branch compared to the space that most people have to work with. It does have me thinking though. . . it would be great to see some epiphytically grown Nepenthes.

And what of vining species? What is the best way to allow them to grow naturally? Pop a trellis or branch in their growing pot?

Using trellis' or sticks can work well. Many people will chop the vine into cuttings and promote basal growth of vining species. Also if you don't use any sort of structure to support the vine, the plant will often just begin making basals anywho when the vine starts hanging too low out of the pot.

a friend of mine has tons growing epiphytically from random seed that took, here's one example:

a beautiful seedling from a Veitchii x Tiveyi mother - growing epiphytically on a Hapu'u fern in a friend's yard:
10557363_333390520191590_8952348117830815471_n.jpg

variegated seedling growing epiphytically on an old ohia tree stump:
17406_343459515851357_4436648096697859833_n.jpg

Holy variegation batman! That may be the most impressive variegated Nepenthes I've ever seen.

That I guess is a true epiphyte.... damn. very nice.

But you can kind of cheat (although plants start off like this in the wild too.... not this species though) and pretty much make a pocket of sphagnum on a branch and grow a nepenthes on it.

6278129011_141d1087c6_o.jpg

6846064150_b6244e557e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a young N. campanulata? I always thought that they couldn't grow well without limestone...

Last edited:
That is an absolutely gorgeous display piece. Great symetry.

Is that a young N. campanulata? I always thought that they couldn't grow well without limestone...

I guess maybe for long term? I had the campanulata for almost 4y and in that time...it did ok...formed many basals...but then went downhill. Perhaps if I added the limestone, it would have done better.

That is an absolutely gorgeous display piece. Great symetry.

Thanks. Unfortunately it requires high upkeep too. It dried out and everything died when I had to go away due to a family emergency.

Holy variegation batman! That may be the most impressive variegated Nepenthes I've ever seen.

and the owner almost weedwacked the plant when he was clearing the area!!

Limestone with Campanulata? What exactly is enough? A little bit in the soil or largish part of the soil limestone sand etc?

I've read that other growers have success with using a soil mix with 10% limestone chunks by volume, 5% if the powdered form is used, you just need to get the calcium carbonate into the soil somehow. Apparently this species had taken to liking conditions one would expect of a tropical butterwort - it's certainly the only Nepenthes I've heard of that likes a higher soil pH than lower.

Last edited:
Where does one buy small quantities of limestone? My campanulata is suffering too.

Most gravel roads consist of limestone. If you look and can see small fossils in the rocks and they cause a white dust on your hands when you pick them up it most definitely is. We have a ton of it here in Indiana

I agree, most gravel dredged up from river beds usually has small bits of limestone or chalk in it, and this amount would likely be suitable for your needs. Be wary of using something sold simply as lime or "industrial/building" lime though, more often than not this is actually quicklime or slacklime, both of which are somewhat caustic and fail to provide the calcium carbonate needed by the plants. Agricultural or garden lime is fine, it's made of pulverized limestone/chalk which are both calcium carbonate based. What peeves me is that it's sold as garden "lime" instead of "limestone" or "chalk", which leads to huge confusion regarding the difference between lime (calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide) and limestone/chalk (calcium carbonate).

Back