What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Nepenthes in vitro . . .

Here are a few images of multiplying plantlets in a cytokinin-rich experimental media. The challenge with this species, as well as many other highlanders and ultra-highlanders, are the development of roots; or rhizogenesis.

More often than not, I allow the plants to root ex vitro, as though they were cuttings; it's far cheaper, in terms of labor and materials, and often quicker in the long run . . .

Nepenthes villosa "Gamma Clone" (Tambuyukon) 18 April

Nepenthes attenboroughii (Mt. Victoria)

Last edited:
This should turn out amazing.

Out of curiosity, what do you do with the plants once they're rooted?

wow. Fantastic job BigB. I hope you eventually manage to open up a shop to sell some of the nice nepenthes species you have managed to produce in vitro. Will be a stellar selection. :)

thats so cool. Wish i had the money/knowledge to do this kind of stuff

thats so cool. Wish i had the money/knowledge to do this kind of stuff

Thanks . . .

I began on a shoestring budget while still at school; made homemade media; scavenged for bottles, etc; and, in terms of knowledge, there is very little pain in cracking a few books . . .

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I look forward to any updates to your coffee thread too.

Any luck with Sp. "Mt. Mingan"?

Any luck with Sp. "Mt. Mingan"?

Sadly, I had repeated contamination issues with that batch. Some lowland and intermediate Nepenthes seed are notoriously difficult to clean effectively and are often riddled with algae and fungi.

To give you a perspective, the protocol for cleaning highland seeds in a 4% PPM solution (a very effective biocide), is five to eight hours; and lowland species -- Nepenthes ampullaria is a prime example -- are often soaked for an excess of twenty-four or more . . .

Back