What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x (izumeae x trusmadiensis). One of the nice things about buying specimen plants from EP is that you know exactly what you're getting. EP's picture on the left, mine on the right. I love this plant, and it's remarkable how well some of the traits of its parents shine through. Also, the pitchers are solid! Thickest walls out of anything in my collection that's a similar size.
DDsGiRqh.jpg
Bg3dpbxh.jpg

N. burbidgeae x talangensis. Only a couple of inches high, but getting bigger and getting to have a very nice shape. Funny how the patterning on the front is so much finer than that past the wings.
Dhqca5Yh.jpg

N. (eymae x maxima) x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii]. Both with the same parentage. Go figure.
9CA3ehMh.jpg

N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x macfarlanei. Not that you can tell, all the pitchers are buried in sphagnum! I should prune it and maybe move it to somewhere with more air movement, this and another plant next to it are showing red-brown spots even on the younger leaves. Thoughts?
MU0bcwoh.jpg

N. robcantleyi x hamata. Seeing how fast some others are growing I figure I got a slow one, but still, this one's mine.
ygWp2DMh.jpg

N. lingulata. Do you think it's vining? I think it is!
VBXn1iYh.jpg

N. boschiana x platychila. Speaking of vining...
07J37smh.jpg

Wow nice plants !

N. burbidgeae x talangensis is an absolutely genius blend of genetics. Throw a glabrata parent somewhere in there and then there could be no finer mottling in the genus.

I've heard that nepenthes pitchers love live sphagnum. If I recall correctly, the article said that nep pitchers would go into the sphagnum and grow very large.

Last edited:
[MENTION=7195]Dexenthes[/MENTION], thanks! Means a lot coming from you. Funny you mention throwing N. glabrata into the mix, I do have one. Temperamental little sucker though, it's very inconsistent in its pitchering. Maybe if it ever turns out to be the opposite sex to my N. burbidgeae x talangensis... Congrats on the addition of your N. lingulata by the way! Easily up there in my favourites list. Was yours from EP too?

[MENTION=12104]curtisconners[/MENTION], yes and no in my experience. Sphagnum does help to trigger pitchers and I think they grow faster when they start inflating (guessing due to physical contact and high humidity, respectively), but in my experience they haven't been any bigger than their counterparts that just hang in the air. Might be the case for other growers, but not so for me.

Last edited:
Congrats on the addition of your N. lingulata by the way! Easily up there in my favourites list. Was yours from EP too?

I'm not actually sure what the source nursery is. I purchased it from a popular Nepenthes vendor from New York.

burb x talang definitely has wonderful potential! And I like the shape of that bosch x platy, would bet the uppers are phenomenal.
I find it interesting that a lot of people claim glabrata to be picky; mine was fussy for a couple years and doesn't like summer heat (I attribute the former to bad soil), but it's been pitchering non-stop since its repot into healthier soil for several months now....

[MENTION=9012]hcarlton[/MENTION], I'm watching the boschiana x platychila pitchers with great interest, I think the peristomes are reflexing less, if that continues I'll be very happy. What are you using for your glabrata potting mix? I was using a mix of LFS and orchid bark, but changed to pure live sphagnum a few months ago. It seems to be a bit happier but I want to give it another few months before making a final judgement, could just be a good phase.

really healthy looking plants you're doing an amazing job! has your N. lingulata started to exhibit its operculum appendage yet?

really healthy looking plants you're doing an amazing job! has your N. lingulata started to exhibit its operculum appendage yet?

Thanks! The appendage was already present on the pitchers the plant had when I received it about 10 months ago, and you can see the top of a pitcher in profile between the stem and the tag for the plant to its right. Also, this picture was taken about a month ago, it's actually the pitcher on the lower left in the previous picture:

THLGL8yh.jpg

Last edited:
[MENTION=9012]hcarlton[/MENTION], I'm watching the boschiana x platychila pitchers with great interest, I think the peristomes are reflexing less, if that continues I'll be very happy. What are you using for your glabrata potting mix? I was using a mix of LFS and orchid bark, but changed to pure live sphagnum a few months ago. It seems to be a bit happier but I want to give it another few months before making a final judgement, could just be a good phase.

My general Nepenthes mix is various amounts of LFS, pumice, and orchid mix (contains large peat chunks, orchid bark, and charcoal), the amount of each varying depending on the plant's preferences. N. glabrata currently is in a mix more on the airy side, but filling in with live sphagnum between the lager bark chunks. What seems most importantly is it likes it on the cooler, more humid side, but very bright light.

oh cool! very elegant looking pitcher. Does the little ling thing do anything that you can notice? like accumulate drops of sector or anything?

My general Nepenthes mix is various amounts of LFS, pumice, and orchid mix (contains large peat chunks, orchid bark, and charcoal), the amount of each varying depending on the plant's preferences. N. glabrata currently is in a mix more on the airy side, but filling in with live sphagnum between the lager bark chunks. What seems most importantly is it likes it on the cooler, more humid side, but very bright light.

Thanks, might move it closer to my (admittedly puny) evaporative cooler, see if that helps a bit. If the live sphagnum doesn't do well I'll try out a mix like yours, too.

oh cool! very elegant looking pitcher. Does the little ling thing do anything that you can notice? like accumulate drops of sector or anything?

Nothing that I've seen so far, no nectar and it's my understanding that there aren't nectar glands anywhere on the lid. Makes it even more curious then if that's not the appendage's purpose, ehh?

I don't usually do updates so close together, but it's interesting to watch some of the pitchers develop.

N. burbidgeae x talangensis, same pitcher as my previous set of pictures, but now coloured up quite nicely:
z8NKMvph.jpg

N. lingulata colouring up quite nicely as well:
QhBRazKh.jpg

N. glabrata, found this little guy had appeared behind the pot. All of the tendrils on mine seem to be at least the lengths of the leaves, around 8-10 cm:
Ol9Z7jah.jpg

N. (eymae x maxima) x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii], I really like this stage while it's still pale:
kHnEC3Wh.jpg

N. boschiana x platychila. I think this is an intermediate or an upper, the peristome hasn't reflexed after being open for a couple of weeks so far and I'm hoping it doesn't:
IA5tKlch.jpg

Speaking of N. boschiana x platychila...
bLf1OPFh.jpg

Aaaaahhh!!!

Last edited:
that N. glabrata pitcher is so squat, tubby and awesome! I wish mine would plump out like that.

Is that a makeshift evap. humidifier/cooler next to the glabrata?

that N. glabrata pitcher is so squat, tubby and awesome! I wish mine would plump out like that.

Is that a makeshift evap. humidifier/cooler next to the glabrata?

Thanks! It's amazingly round, but I wish it would be more consistent, at the moment I've got five or so tendrils that are just sitting there. Maybe they'll all inflate at the same time, that'd be nice.

Good eye as well, that is indeed an evaporative cooler next to it, air flow is provided by a computer fan to the left out of frame. It could be a lot better (I need a stronger fan and a larger water reservoir) but it helps humidify air being brought in by the ventilation fan, and I think the area right in front of it is actually a bit cooler than the rest of the greenhouse.

Back