What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In celebration of our recent in vitro successes with Nepenthes attenboroughii; and because you guys -- gals too -- are generally good eggs, we're giving one plant to some lucky grower, to be chosen at random, by those merry sylphs over at random.org, in one week's time.

We had hoped to have some of these ready for the 2015 NASC auction for their always worthy cause(s); but it occurred too early in the year and real life somehow got in the way. A similar offer is already being run at the pitcher plant proboard site -- though a different clone. No double entries please; either do it here or at that shunned, accursed place.

The plants are are about 2.5 cm (1") in diameter; are showing promising color, especially since they've only been receiving the merest "peckerwood" natural lighting during their establishment. In the grand, creative tradition of Wistuba, we are calling this plant -- brace yourself -- "Clone II."

The species, for those unaware, is endemic to Mount Victoria and neighboring Mt. Sagpaw in Palawan, at around 1700 meters (5577 feet); and was only formally described in 2009. They are currently in 7.6 cm (3") net orchid pots, in a compost of live sphagnum mosses; milled sphagnum; and horticultural sand.

Earlier on, we experimented with duplicating their native ultramafic soils and whatnot; but soon discovered that almost any airy, well-draining compost trumped anal retentive soil chemistry; and suspected, as some others have, that some of those tropical conditions were probably more exclusionary of other competing plant life, than of N. attenboroughii's cultural need for absurdly high levels of aluminum, magnesium, or iron. It does, however, have a reputation of being a slow grower -- and that ain't no lie. We're not growing tomatoes, here.

All that is requested, is that the plant not suddenly turn up on eBay; that the recipient know something about its cultural requirements beforehand; and that he, she, or indeterminate, cover the USPS postage, around US 6.00. We grow the species as a highlander or as an ultra-highlander; though some have had marginal successes, growing it as an intermediate. That has not been our experience. So, crack a book, people, if you're interested.

The plant will be shipped potted; and the recipient will have one week's time to respond, before another number is chosen.

Sadly, this offer is only valid within the U.S.; though -- with in vitro plants -- that may also change soon. Just put your name to the list and add numbers as necessary . . .

Nepenthes attenboroughii 20 June

ad nauseum

Last edited:
1. rdlsreno Thank you Very Much!!!

2. roxorboxor

Very generous of you, thank you!

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs

Wow, Clone 1?
:0o: lol

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
4. KATastrophe- omg i will beg for $6 to finally grow this with my group! Thank you so much

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
4. KATastrophe- omg i will beg for $6 to finally grow this with my group! Thank you so much
5. Smell

Last edited:
2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
6. Knuckles - I've been interested in this 1 seeing the documentaries on it. Gracias!

Crap, these had better be Nepenthes attenboroughii or I'll never be able to live it down. Could be brussels sprouts? Sadly, I truly cannot recall who gave me the specific 2013 seed to flask; there were dozens (heh, heh, heh) . . .

Last edited:
LOL! :lol:

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
6. Knuckles - I've been interested in this 1 seeing the documentaries on it. Gracias!
7.vdub804 - thanks David! Also congrats on the amazing ceph "My Left Nut" best ceph name I've ever heard!:-))

Last edited:
2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
7. vbkid, best of luck to everyone and thanks for the chance!

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
7.vdub804 - thanks David! Also congrats on the amazing ceph "My Left Nut" best ceph name I've ever heard!
8. vbkid, best of luck to everyone and thanks for the chance!

List fixed...

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
7. vdub804 - thanks David! Also congrats on the amazing ceph "My Left Nut" best ceph name I've ever heard!
9. Ps3isawesome - No wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy, this is an opportunity of a life time.

Not entering, but amazing giveaway and best of luck to everyone!
Congrats on the TC success too! :D

Lol @ 'my left nut' ceph
It was very pretty wonder what the 'right nut' ceph will look like! Keep us updated on if u got one like that in the works lol

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
7. vdub804 - thanks David! Also congrats on the amazing ceph "My Left Nut" best ceph name I've ever heard!
10.thelarge

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
10.thelarge
11. David F- Thanks David! What a beautiful plant, and what a great man it was named after!

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
10.thelarge
11. David F- Thanks David! What a beautiful plant, and what a great man it was named after!
12. 801229001- OOhh what an amazing offer! I just moved to the US recently and have everything set up!

Fantastic gesture BigB. I hope you can sometime really open up your own store and offer some of the rare gems you got in TC. Would be a fantastic opportunity for us hobbyists to get some nice variety of the rare plants. :)

2. roxorboxor
3. brn_thmbs
5. Smell
10.thelarge
12. 801229001- OOhh what an amazing offer! I just moved to the US recently and have everything set up!
13. Dawlito - Thanks!

Back