What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A sudden change of schedule is going to have me out of town for a couple of days -- away from the computers, hopefully even the damnable cell. As a result, the drawing will be extended through Friday; and the drawing on 4 July, a somewhat significant day, here in the colonies . . .

I hope u have fun where ever you are going :) enjoy yourself im sure we'll all be eagerly waiting hahahahahahaha!

The 4 July winner, chosen by Random.org is:

4. KATastrophe

Im glad thats over - the suspense was a killer!

Congratulations

Last edited:
Congrats to the winner!

Richard just turned over in his grave

I believe that the plant was named for David Attenborough, the naturalist, who still breathes, and not his brother, Richard, the director of Gandhi; and one of the ill-fated prisoners from The Great Escape.

Everyone had a one in thirteen chance of winning. Why the seeming animosity?

Take it up with the sylphs at Random.org . . .

As someone who knows I don't have the ability to maintain suitable conditions year round for this plant I didn't enter to win it, so I have no dog in this fight from that perspective. I'm certain that the winner's history with plants has considerable influence on the bad feelings. Then there's the other stuff. Given the rarity of the plant, I'd personally like to think that it was going to someone who in a few years would be sharing your amazing generosity with future TF members. I'm not confident this is the case. I certainly don't begrudge anyone the terms they put on what they give away, and again, your generosity here goes far beyond the sheer monetary value of the plant, and I thank you sincerely for it.

As someone who knows I don't have the ability to maintain suitable conditions year round for this plant I didn't enter to win it, so I have no dog in this fight from that perspective. I'm certain that the winner's history with plants has considerable influence on the bad feelings. Then there's the other stuff. Given the rarity of the plant, I'd personally like to think that it was going to someone who in a few years would be sharing your amazing generosity with future TF members. I'm not confident this is the case. I certainly don't begrudge anyone the terms they put on what they give away, and again, your generosity here goes far beyond the sheer monetary value of the plant, and I thank you sincerely for it.

+1 on that, I can't keep a plant like this alive all year, and even if I had the proper conditions I'm nowhere near experienced enough to keep it. That being said, I do believe that the intention of this giveaway was to share a wonderful opportunity with ALL members of the forum and to encourage the appreciation of not only a (relatively) rare species, but also of the generosity displayed by many members here. The results are what they are, they can't be changed, and there's no need to be rude or condescending about it. Yes, I personally hoped that something like this would go to a member with a well known reputation for growing quality plants with the capacity of giving back to the community eventually (i.e. which is why I didn't enter), and I understand the frustration that this causes in some members. Despite this, displaying animosity towards the winner will accomplish nothing - a more constructive use of time would be providing advice as to how one goes about properly caring for this plant, in the hopes that one day we will see more giveaways like this for future TF members.

~My own 0.02$

BTW, happy Fourth of July everyone!

Last edited:
Twenty or more years ago, I had a horticulture class at UC, where the professor yammered on about totipotency; pluropotentcy; and all manner of potencies, best reserved as clues in a NY Times crossword puzzle, for all the meaning it held for us at the time. All of it preceded a lab experiment in micropropagation, where we blindly futzed arround with soya. A few of us succeeded without contaminating the lot. We managed to get material to callus and fill several vials. My lab partner and I were jazzed, to be one of just three pair, in a large class, who had managed to pull it off.

What was most memorable to me was the professor's comment that tissue culture -- perhaps even home TC at some point -- would soon be capable of putting forth even the rarest of plants into the hands of most anyone who cared to take a stab at its cultivation; that prices for rarities would eventually go down; that many species would likely remain in the wild as a result.

About that time, I was given a rooted cutting of what some were still occasionally calling Nepenthes dentata. I had only the dimmest clue of how to grow it properly; but I cracked a book and pulled that off; and had it for ten years, before leaving the country.

In the midst of all of this sturm and drang over the fate of one little plant, take a look at this vial -- one of many; one of a handful of different clones. Would anyone care to guess the number of plants, multiplying away on a Jell-O shot of what once had been a cotton defoliant? If anyone were capable, I'd FEDEX the whole f**king lot to them, on my dime . . .

Nepenthes attenboroughii: "Clone V" 4 July

Last edited:
18?

Good question... if the number is multiplying then there is possibly no definite answer in that it is continuous as long as there is a limit due to possible size of enclosure or nutrients available... soo as a function, f, lets say that Y represents the continuous answer & lets let Z be the limit. Y is continuous at some point Z of its domain if the limit of f(A) as A approaches Y through the domain of f exists and is equal to f(A). This is true if the limit exists then it would be equated to something like this:

limit of X->Y f(X)=f(Y)

If not my guess it 25. lol

Last edited:
According to my Dave calculations, 34.

Do any of you guys even know how to harden off plants from TC once they reach the proper size? :p

Back