What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i transition a terrarium pitcher to being outside?

Honestly, when I first got this pitcher, it sat outdoors for 3 months perfectly fine and was making pitchers. I prob should've just let it be without throwing it in a terrarium.

This plant is growing super fast and I want to take it out without killing it.
How do i do this? This is a Nepenthes maxima x spectabilis

Thank you !

IMG_1779_zpswv685zg9.jpg

IMG_1780_zps4yf1urw2.jpg

*Jedi mind-trick*

"This isn't the advice you're looking for"

My first reaction would be to move them to a windowsill with the same amount of light (but obviously lower humidity than the terrarium) for 2-3 weeks. After that, I would put them outside in an area that only gets 2-4 hours of morning sunlight, and then is shaded for the rest of the day.

At that point, I would move it's pot further into the lighted area so that it got another 1-2 hours of sunlight per day, every 2 weeks or so, until it was in it's optimum position.

HOWEVER...I do not have your conditions, and cannot grow nepenthes outdoors. What I described above is my acclimation technique for my temperate terrarium plants whenever I move them to outdoor conditions.

......(except that I usually just toss them outside, let them die down to the roots, and come back fully acclimated. It's sad and they look pathetic, but it works. It probably WON'T work with nepenthes, which is why I suggested the gradual acclimation).

At this point in the year though, you're probably better off leaving it in the terrarium, and trying this next year. With Bay-Area weather, maybe around late April, early May?

Still....practically anyone else who grows neps outside (or otherwise) could give you better-informed advice. :/

Last edited:
I've never grown Nepenthes in a terrarium before, but I have gotten Nepenthes species shipped to me that I just put outside in full sun as soon as I got them. A few of them sulked for a month before growing again but they all survived. The plant will not like a sudden change but I don't think it will die if you just put it outside.

I've done this many times & there are 2 ways that I go about it. 1 way always works great & the other does not. Again this is what I have done.

1. Just take it out & place it where you want it. Mist it often & it will halt growth for a while & then get used to its new conditions within a few weeks to a month... or it will die. lol

2. (Ive dont this countless times) I'm assuming it will be heading for a lower humidity environment so just start removing the top of the terrarium or opening the door little by little over the course of a few weeks to a month. This will pretty much result in all neps in your terrarium acclimating as well. The nep can be moved on out & will then continue growth without pause or shock.

whoops thats for acclimating them to windowsill plants.

Last edited:
I have always picked a week that looks to be fairly mild weather wise, no crazy weather patterns or large storms. Temps that the plants *should* like, that are not too far off from what they've been getting. I know that's sometimes easier said than done, so for where I live, I usually kick a lot outside in the spring.

What's the biggest difference between your indoor set up and the weather outside? That'll tell you what to be most concerned with when transitioning them. Here for me, it's the sunlight. Can be brutal in FL, so my transitioning usually means slowly from a more shaded spot into a sunnier one over the course of a few weeks. The temps or humidity is not remarkably different from my indoor tank and outdoors here, but if yours are, those things may be more of a concern for you instead of sunlight.

Watch out for shrinkage sometimes this happens at the growth point leaves getting smaller and smaller till eventually it disapears! That would be either from stress from temps or humidity and or light issues...dealing with this right now with attempting to acclimate two of my plants.

U could always bag them up and put it in a semi shaded spot then slowly open the bag misting every so often until eventually you don't need the bag and remove the plant from it... If it wilts a little u jumped the gun on removing it from the bag, best to let it get some growth before attempting again to get it outta the bag.

Like everybody else has said the key to changes is to transition your plant during a period of time, no sudden changes.

Like Kat I use to bag my plants and start increasing the hole and depending on the plant's health it can sometimes take weeks.

So don't rush it start with some hours in the new enviroment when it's the least hard and take it from there.

Thanks everyone, great tips and will try them out.

I grow all my neps outside. I would imagine in SF you would have no problem growing this outside. I would watch out during winter for cold and wet nights so that your plant doesn't rot.

As said above I would ease the transition so the plant doesn't go into shock too badly.

Back