What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland conditions?

Hi everyone!
I was wondering how you guys try to get highland conditions in your terrariums or greenhouses.
I leave in Argentina and while winter conditions are ideal for highland nep, summer is terrible and can reach 40º some days, although it normaly reaches 27-30º during the day and 20-25 during the night.
I recently bought some Highland seeds. N dubia, N aristo, N maxima and N talanga. N dubia seeds were planted during the end of the summer and are sprouting now, when the winter started.

So i'm gathering information on highland terrariums or greenhouses.
I know some of you use an AC but I can't do that since i'm renting the house and I don't want to buy and install an expensive AC unit knowing i'm gonna leave soon.
I heard some off you use swamp coolers maybe... but i'm all ears to every option available.

Thanks in advance!

There are portable AC units that could be used, but they're expensive.
Other than that, people have experimented with peltier cells but you need to set up a heat sink and success is generally mixed.

I remember there was also someone who removed the compressor from an old fridge, then attached it to a large metal grate. There was a fan and humidifier behind the grate that blew in air, which was chilled and entered the terrarium. The thread is on CPUK, but I can't find it at the moment.

The most feasable and economical way to simulate HL conditions is by using an ac. Peltier coolers simply don't get you the temp drops you need. Swamp chillers only work in low humidity. Rigging up something using the compressor and plates from a refrigerator or freezer can end up costing just as much as an air conditioner when all is said and done and the metal plates will suck humidity from the environment very rapidly.

Heres my input :awesome:
Terrarium Advice

1st I will say this: When starting a HL, LL, or ultra HL nepenthes project, ask yourself if you are really willing to put the $$$ in to grow them properly? There are some Nepenthes which will require a terrarium to achieve optimal conditions & growth. These particular ones are known to not do well in greenhouses depending on your geographical conditions & other variables.

1. A/C -> (If you're serious about a HL chamber, just get 1. I've had 1 unit cool multiple HL tanks & many use them in grow rooms or tents)
b. portable unit: not cheap
a. small wall unit: cheaper
2. Ice - Some have small terrariums in which temp can be easily maintained with frozen water bottles or ice added to an evaporative cooling unit or homemade unit. It can be a hassle, but will do the trick for small tanks if you keep good routines.

If you have central a/c, you can carefully select a good location for your terrarium where it gets direct current & just set your nighttime temps to 60-65 & daytime about 15 degrees hotter. Remember to monitor your temp & humidity within the terrarium. This is if you like cold nights of course =). I've done this & it works fine for most HLs but will not be great for ultraHL neps & many that need colder nights. I wasn't home at all during the day so the arctic was turned on at night - which worked fine with my schedule. Hybrids can handle non-optimal conditions much better than the pure species. Be sure to research all of the plants you decide to care for long before beginning if you prefer them alive & well.

A little more important info -->

Most Maximas can be grown as intermediates
Aristocloides & Talangensis are HL from around similar elevations

Dubia is considered an ultra HL - will need lower night temps to be happy

Are your seedlings indoor? They may be fine, except for the ultra HL, grown however you have them currently since they will be hardened off to your climate.

Hope this helps Morke
Good Growing :water:

Last edited:
I stole an idea from Luca, I used a deep freeze ice chest :)

Back