What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear vs solid pots

Was just wondering what you guys prefer to use, clear or solid pots and why? what are the advantages and dis advantages of the two?

I've been leaning toward the clear myself. I like being able to see the condition of the potting mix.

My preference is solid b/c light entering the sides will eventually encourage unwanted algae growth below the surface for plants that like consistently moist soil. Utrics in clear pots would be great, but I would have that pot within an opaque pot. Epiphytic plants have their roots exposed in nature so it may benefit plants with photosynthetic roots. What types of plants would you use these for? Soil breaks down & releases nutrients over time so it may be useful to check on it if you worry about that. I usually only change or add to soil when a plant outgrows its container. Excess nutrients from decomposition can be flooded out, or added for some plants, & aeration can be added with various components as well. Hmm I bet it would stop some roots from getting bound on the sides of the container since roots that reach the light would stop & branch instead of growing further outward. Lol I don't know if that would be considered a pro or con but I am curious to see what others prefer.

What do net pots count as? :p

If they're not an option then I'd go for solid pots, mainly because of the algae growth as Knuckles has pointed out.

I use clear for Phalaenopsis and other orchids which require their roots to dry out between waterings since it makes monitoring the dryness of the roots easy. The combination of low light levels these plants prefer, along with intermittent dry periods prevents algae from taking hold. Kept constantly moist and brightly lit they won't be clear for long.

Last edited:
I tend to use solid color pots (unless its an aquatic). High light levels getting through to the roots can inhibit their growth, depending on the plant. Unlike most plants, orchids have photosyntheisizing root tips like Knuckles said. I guess your choice just depends on the plant.

Since I've started using more and more live sphagnum in my nepenthes mixes, I've started using clear pots more often. I want the sphagnum to stay alive all the way down.

I find that unless I use net pots, it's too difficult to keep a whole pot of pure Sphagnum alive. Even in clear pots the moss tends to gradually decay. For that reason, I use solid pots to prevent unwanted algae. But as said, many orchids are the exception. For Nepenthes, my ideology is either solid pots, net pots, or go home.

I use clear for Utricularia, Genlisea, and anything potted in live sphagnum. The other plants are just in whatever pots I have left.

As mentioned before, clear pots let you see the roots/media and let light in. On the flip side, they can heat up really fast and grow tons of algae.

Last edited:
What initiated my penchant for the clear pots was back when I had my large collection I had received some potted nepenthes with the white clear pots with the slits/slots running vertically around the pot, not a net pot bot the aerating ones.Well during shipping a fair amount of the potting mix had spilled out of the pots so I compensated by filling the pots back up with live sphagnum moss. Eventually over several months the sphagnum slowly grew down and around the pot with some poking through the slits. I found this aesthetically pleasing as well as I was able to observe the state of the what substrate I could see and the moss functioned as a means of indicating moisture. I never had any issues with algae until I purchased some clear pots of my own, however I did't think to get the ones with the slits/slots and algae would grow. Once I got the pots with the slits/slots I only had algae when I happened to over water.

I usually use solid colored pots for everything except my Sarracenia. It's not really by design though, it's just that tupperware makes for cheap bulk pots, lol. I suppose I could paint the outsides before I put anything in them, but...meh.

Last edited:
I dont really prefer one or the other, most of my pots are make shift plastic containers so I dont really get a choice.

Heres another question since we're on the subject of different pots.

Square vs. Round?

I like the square pots for there efficient use of space. But I can't seem to find square pots in the larger sizes like 8"+ not that I need pots that large since I just started growing again in the last few months but eventually I hope I will

I like square more hands down, because as you said theyre more efficient use of space. However its really hard to find the right sizes in square.

So really everything you said, lol

hands down square.

I know a website that sells a great variety of square pots in different color and sizes. Too bad i can't list it cause they also sell carnivorous plants.

Back