What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on damaged ventricosa

Hi Folks.

I have a Nepenthes Ventricosa with a damaged stalk, sorry about the poor image. There seems to be a bud growing out of the left side near the base, it sprouted out but has not grown at all in the last couple weeks.

Any tips on the best way to tend for this plant? IS there any cutting i can do to promote growth? or just leave it alone and see if it fixes itself?

20150915_063456.jpg

I'd clip off the brown, personally, to limit it becoming a source for rot. Don't get carried away and cut into any green tissue though, because you'll induce a fresh wound. A little nub of brown is fine, and the plant will have already begun to heal where the dead part meets living tissue.

Otherwise, as far as overall health is concerned, I think you're alright and the plant definitely looks like it's going to make it. More often than not, the really threatening and fatal problems cause dieback from the bottom up rather than the top down.

I'd clip off the brown, personally, to limit it becoming a source for rot. Don't get carried away and cut into any green tissue though, because you'll induce a fresh wound. A little nub of brown is fine, and the plant will have already begun to heal where the dead part meets living tissue.

Otherwise, as far as overall health is concerned, I think you're alright and the plant definitely looks like it's going to make it. More often than not, the really threatening and fatal problems cause dieback from the bottom up rather than the top down.

Good advice. This helps me as well. My N. hamata and one of my N. sibuyanensis x (spectabilis x aristolochioides) are experiencing this as well. It's relieving to know that they will probably be fine, even though I figured they would be. I just need to wait for new growth points to develop.

Thank you very much, ill trim off the excess :)

Back