What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi-Hydroponic Nepenthes

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Thus far I've found myself unable to keep even the easiest Nepenthes for any period of time. Thanks to a discovery during a clean out and the generosity of Ryan from Native Exotics I find myself in the position of being able to try to kill one in a different way.
The essence of semi-hydroponics is the use of an inorganic media in a container designed to hold a small amount of water. The chosen media must have some ability to wick moisture from this reservoir to keep the upper portion moist. LECA, light expanded clay aggregate has proven to work very well with orchids, and I discovered a large bag doing a clean out. Here's a pic, details to follow:

Attachments

• IMG_20150926_081449.jpg
    IMG_20150926_081449.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Looks good, John! :) 'Lady Luck' certainly is a tough one to kill, have 2 of them sitting on my windowsill in BioDomes, having them semi-hydroponically shouldn't be too different!

Last edited:
Very interested in what results you get John. I have some that are in that same medium and they seem to be doing fine. Haven't figured out how to keep them from tipping over when they start putting on some size? Probably better suited for getting them established. Good luck!

Very interested in what results you get John. I have some that are in that same medium and they seem to be doing fine. Haven't figured out how to keep them from tipping over when they start putting on some size? Probably better suited for getting them established. Good luck!

Perhaps pot them up or place their pot inside a larger terra cotta pot. ???

Last edited:
Did you have any luck with this method. I've recently purchased some Leca and some seramis to try a couple of orchids in. I purchased a few N. 'Lady Luck' bio domes when I found them for cheap. I've been thinking of trying one in this media.

This little nep has been in LECA for about a month. Too early to tell how it will go. Summer may be problematic. Fingers crossed!
52f892bcdd71c14d0d689de51ccc79f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back