What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland or intermediate nepenthes.

A thermometer that can record temps is ideal, but you can figure it out yourself with practically any thermometer by simply checking on it several times during the day and night. It will at least get you close to what your extremes are.

If you do decide to give nepenthes a try, and don't have much of a temperature drop at night, do try an inexpensive ventricosa / maxima hybrid first. Some can be exceptionally hardy and live in less-than-ideal conditions. My own temps during summer are pretty harsh for Nepenthes, 90+ during the hottest part of the day and ~75 at night. Winter is much easier, since a small space-heater is considerably less money and space than a "small" air-conditioner.

If you buy a Nepenthes before the onset of winter, you may find that it grows very well for you, only to have it decline and suffer once the warmer months roll around.

Someone help me on what I should do first. I dont know what thermometer to try.

This whole thing is messed up and its making me depressed.

Yikes, imagine how you'll feel if you kill a prized plant.......

I have a ventracoas already and I'm tired of looking at it all year long. I want some other nepenthes.

As hcarlton said, some hybrids don't look an awful lot like either parent. A hybrid would most likely be different enough that you wouldn't feel like it was "just another ventricosa".

Maybe but I'm a college student and I can't buy a nepenthes that is 170 from online. I just feel like some plants are a bit over prices even if they are the rare kind.

Maybe but I'm a college student and I can't buy a nepenthes that is 170 from online. I just feel like some plants are a bit over prices even if they are the rare kind.

With some exceptions, hybrids are generally both cheaper than the parents and much easier to grow. You'll be very hard pressed to find an easy-to-grow beginner hybrid going for $170 - most sites offer good-sized plants for less than $20.

To quote someone else's statement: growing Nepenthes seriously will always be a rich man's game. If you're not going to make some sort of investment (large or small, monetary or experience/time-wise) in growing this genus, then it is unlikely that you will progress beyond owning common windowsill plants. The larger your investment, the more successful you will be with these plants - it's your choice to decide where you want to draw the line.

Last edited:

There are plenty of excellent hybrids you can purchase for $50 or less as long as you aren't hoping to find the rare (and pricier) species. Those will always be expensive. Nepenthes is a rich man's hobby, I assure you. But as I stated, Terraforums is a merchant-provided site and we are not allowed to mention other vendors in discussions here.
Still, it seems like you need to do more research about growing Nepenthes, because you're likely going to have to engineer more specific conditions in your basement if you expect to have any success.

That said .....

Google is your friend.

You seem to have an exaggerated idea of what Nepenthes cost. Of course, some can bring in those prices, and much higher. However, I know for a fact you can find common or NoID hybrids for as little as $20-$30 a pop. Ebay is not the only source for Nepenthes or CP's in general.

You seem to have an exaggerated idea of what Nepenthes cost. Of course, some can bring in those prices, and much higher. However, I know for a fact you can find common or NoID hybrids for as little as $20-$30 a pop. Ebay is not the only source for Nepenthes or CP's in general.

Heck, I have been mailing surplus plants to friends for free for the past two weeks. Make friends with the senior growers, perhaps?

I've discussed this with the OP previously..even discussed how we can't send links and told him theirs other places online he could do a simple search on google 'nepenthes for sale in US' and i even explained to the OP that even if a seller is selling on 2 sites that if one says 'out of stock' the other site They sell on May still have them available but they are only to be sold on that site because of the agreement to do so. And they should look around for info on nepenthes before hand and getting into hard to find and fussy nep species.

Rareraven.. I use a tank for my HL Neps. I have a 'Repti-fogger' and a 'Hygro-therm' humidity, temp controller with a night drop feature. I also use a 'top aquatic "cooling fan"' to help with dropping the temp at night to Keep everything at the temps required to grow them correctly. I also have a 250 watt CFL 2000+ lumen Grow light on a timer to when the sun rises till the sun sets. If your gonna get into this hobby it can be very expensive and may add up quickly, especially when u start mixing HL, LL and intermediate species cause then you have to have different temp And humidity requirements for each different species which May require the items i listed above per tank unless your temps are ideal to one type of species that you could grow on your Window sill until cool weather starts. I suggest u go on eBay search the items i listed above in the "quotations" and start writing down the costs of such things and see what your budget could afford before going forward with purchasing anything out of your spectrum of growing conditions and temperature range.
Then decide on what nep you can grow.

First thing i suggest you do is go to a local hardware store and get a thermometer and put it where you are gonna keep this plant you want to buy and write down the temperature of your day temps and night temps - Then u can figure out what species you can care for

Last edited:
Most nepenthes are in the biding area. I'm not good with bidding.

I told u last night you dont have to use ebay

I said look up the 'ITEMS' i suggest at the top of my 2nd paragraph of my previous post up on eBay to get a Sence of Cost to have the ability to control the environments to keep certain species of Neps

I'm sorry I'm a hard person to deal with....T_T

I too am wondering the same thing, I've explained more then enough places you could buy neps for affordable prices, how companies and sellers run their business and sell items, conditions, temps, humidity, nepenthes species types that may work for you, ones that won't, shipping items, heat packs, messages to seller for shipping instructions or to inquire about doing something for shipping items, items you should look into ...etc....etc.....etc - and its not really helping you understand the basics

Last edited:
Step 1 - get some T5HO lights rating 6500K in spectrum.
Step 2 - decide what plant you want, then IN DEPTH research this plant and the enviroment it hails from.
Step 3 - setup a large growing area with correct humididty, light, and temperature for said plant(s)
Step 4 - make sure environment is stable. Make sure YOU Can also sustain this area for correct temperment, and fix it when need be.

Step 5 - find your plant. Look around on the web for sellers, or upgrade your bidding skill. Simple as that.
Step 6 - get growing. Monitor temps and conditions daily to make sure its stable.

Id say :

Step 7: ONLY concentrate on one species (ex: HL, LL or intermediate) Dont Mix and Match species, until you further your growing skills.

Back