What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Us Your Lowland Nepenthes Setup!

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
The other day I was working with my small 50 gallon terrarium that I use to house my small
Lowland plants, however It got me wondering.. What do others use to grow these plants?

I know a few growers here have some truly massive plants, such as Nepenthes Rafflesiana
And Nepenthes Bicalcarata and I have always been curious as to what they use to grow such plants in, Because small terrariums surely wont do the trick and keep these plants healty and happy.

So, what does your lowland nepenthes setup look like??

Last edited:
Hi NemJones, this is my setup. Lucky Reptile terrarium and the second one is 2 IKEA glass cabinets combined. I don't have any truly large neps at the moment though. The largest ones are Ampullaria end for awhile I had Hookeriana. The Bicalcarata x Ampullaria is not very big.

Siivous_ennen1.jpg

sec_terrarium1.jpg

Lookin good man! Half of your plants are still larger than the largest one I have.
Hoping to see updates as they progress

I use a 20g low tank on a windowsill in the bathroom. Once the temps outside get below 70, I move them from the greenhouse to here. I have 3 Amps and a Bical that spent the summer on the front porch, then a month in the greenhouse. They will stay here till April, then in the greenhouse until May. I have a N. Raffelsiana that spent the entire winter in the greenhouse and thrived even with a 39 degree low!
image_zpshgvgvln4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm currently using a 4' deep by 8' wide by 7' tall grow tent. It's on of the walk in ones, with reflective mylar covering its' entirety. Heat is supplied with a 1.5 kw space heater hooked up to a photosensitive thermostat- 87 degree days, 75 degree nights. At present humidity is maintained using a hot steam humidifier set on low. Lighting is still in progress- I'm using fluorescents now, but hope to snag some waterproof led strips soon. Will provide pictures when I get the chance.

Great set up guys.

pMatil, I really like yours, can I ask what kind of light you have illuminating that single hanging pot in the upper right hand corner ? and also whats growing in there?

It's too bad I prefer highlanders because lowland setups are a piece of cake.

- waterproof enclosure
- water reservoir below a platform the plants sit on
- aquarium heater in the reservoir
- sufficient lighting

Voila, you have a nice steamy lowland tank.

JK0JRP0.jpg

I use a 20g low tank on a windowsill in the bathroom. Once the temps outside get below 70, I move them from the greenhouse to here. I have 3 Amps and a Bical that spent the summer on the front porch, then a month in the greenhouse. They will stay here till April, then in the greenhouse until May. I have a N. Raffelsiana that spent the entire winter in the greenhouse and thrived even with a 39 degree low!
image_zpshgvgvln4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pebbles,
What plants do you have growing in there? I'm liking the squat tubby lil pitchers!

Great set up guys.

pMatil, I really like yours, can I ask what kind of light you have illuminating that single hanging pot in the upper right hand corner ? and also whats growing in there?

Thanks Flip! That hanging pot has Cephalotus growing in it and the spotlight is a cold white LED one. That hanging pot is not there anymore, cephalotus did not like the overly humid lowland environment in there. Also the spotlight wasn't good enough for them. I did have a red/blue/white LED light with them but still they didn't grow very well.

Those are amps, red and green forms. The one in the small pot is a cutting. The yellow pot holds my Bical. It got shocked when I put it outside too soon. I've had it about 6 months now, and during summer time here it rebounded.

Thanks for the ID! They are lovely.

Carbonetc, That setup looks awesome! IT looks pretty aged as well.
What lights are you using?

Carbonetc, That setup looks awesome! IT looks pretty aged as well.
What lights are you using?

Two Nova Extreme 30" right now. It's more light than I need, but I had them on hand.

Back