What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My very first flower spike!!!

A couple of months ago I purchase from EP a specimen plant Nepenthes x [(lowii x veitchii) x (boschiana x campanulata)] and a day ago I notice it has a flower spike. The plant is just producing new leaves and pitchers so no mature pitchers yet, so I don't have a picture of the pitcher (I borrowed Geoff photo of the actual plant I bought). The plant seems to be healthy.

Ramon:D

Flower spike
22435772829_0eb6564390_c.jpg

Nepenthes x [(lowii x veitchii) x (boschiana x campanulata)] (Geoff photo)
22640002890_7d8dae6aef_z.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! It's really a neat experience, and additionally a great sign that you're doing the right thing with your plants!

Still a bit early to be 100% sure but it looks to be female.

Agreed. Got pollen lined up?

None yet. Still don't know how to fertilize the flower. All I know if the flower starts producing fragrance its ready. Do you use a brush or a toothpick?

- - - Updated - - -

Still a bit early to be 100% sure but it looks to be female.

Now I am excited!!!!

I also have some N.boschiana pollen that should be ready about the same time as that one if indeed it is female.

Congrats on the flower stalk! Im sure youll have fun picking pollen to cross it with or vice versa :) goodluck keep us posted!

All are interesting!!!!

Congrats on the flower, and good luck on the crosses.

Hey Ramon, it may be too early to tell but I think my (lowii x veitchii) x (bical x camp) will be producing a flower spike as well!

Update on the flower spike. I think it's a female (the buds looks like rugby balls). I was told its about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to be ready. I would be happy to get some pollen. I would like to know if Paul and Cthulu138 pollen offer is still go? 50-50 split? Soooo excited!!!!! I heard there is a male N. leonardoii flowering. A cross with that species is great.

Ramon :D

23526324062_513c6d69b0_c.jpg

23634914245_0c8fcd30ae_c.jpg

Last edited:
Update on the flower spike. I think it's a female (the buds looks like rugby balls). I was told its about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to be ready. I would be happy to get some pollen. I would like to know if Paul and Cthulu138 pollen offer is still go? 50-50 split? Soooo excited!!!!! I heard there is a male N. leonardoii flowering. A cross with that species is great.

Ramon :D

Its female.
I wish you'd been more direct in expressing your interest in pollen parents. Those blooms are long gone and discarded. You didn't seem particularly interested. Sorry.

Its female.
I wish you'd been more direct in expressing your interest in pollen parents. Those blooms are long gone and discarded. You didn't seem particularly interested. Sorry.

I am sorry I am so new to this. I thought you have some saved.

I have some N.boschiana pollen available now. PM me if you're interested.

I made my first cross today and I hope I did it right. I waited until there is a very strong odor (smells like cat pee on the rug!) and the stigma is sticky. I used Whimgrinder pollen of his male N. ((lowii x veitchi) x boschiana). I hope it takes and Paul said his share of seed will be donated to TF give away. Thanks Paul! Here is a link to the pollen plant https://i0.wp.com/www.paulbardenroses.com/nepenthes/bosch.jpg

23703789949_960d6eef24_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back