What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes' First Winter

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I bought my first Nepenthes last spring, so this will be my first winter caring for it. I live in Charleston, SC, and it's just started getting into the 50s (one night it dipped into the 40s).

I know now is probably the time to bring it in, but I'm wondering what specific recommendations people have. Thanks in advance!

Bob

Can you elaborate on what species (or probably hybrid) you have? Your care plan will vary based on this. Pictures would help.

Regardless of what it is, you don't want the temperature getting near 40F for too long, and you certainly don't want it to freeze. Now would be a good time to bring it inside. I wouldn't expect pitchers in the winter unless you have a way of keeping the light and humidity up.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I used a picture of it from back in July as my profile pic. The people I bought it from did not tell me what species it was. Is it alright to hang it in a garage while it's dormant, or is it going to need some sunlight? Thanks again.

Your plant is the commonly circulated hybrid that people call N. x ventrata (although the identification of one of the parents as the true N. alata is definitely debatable). Nepenthes are tropical plants and certainly do not go dormant, and keeping one in a dark garage is a terrific way to kill it. I won't elaborate on all the intricacies involved in caring for this genus, but here's a link to help you get started. N. x ventrata is a perfect beginner plant and tough as nails, so don't worry if you can't hit all the requirements spot on - it's still possible to grow a decent specimen within reasonable margins.

Last edited:
I would recommend hanging it in a sunny window if you have one. As one of the easy hybrids it's pretty tolerant of different conditions, but it may still lose pitchers due to the condition change from being moved or the lower light levels during winter.

Back