What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a 1 year old nepenthes (I need advice)

Hi ! someone in my country grew some red variety of Nepenthes Ampullaria from seed. The plantlings has 1 year old, but to me, they seem too little for having a year...
So, I don't know what size expect for a young ampullaria ...could someone send here photos of 1 year old plants? or give me some advice

It has about 0,7 inch diameter, and 2 pitchers, but I don't see them)

View image: acacac

can't show the image here just the link, I don't know how,
doesn't work, if someone can, please post it ! :)

Last edited:
Honestly I can't even tell if thats a nep or not. If it is it only seems to have one healthy leaf, which is not a good sign. If you already bought it then give it standard care for amps ( high humidity and temps higher than 65) and it should be good. The only amp I have I bought and was older than one year, so I can't give any opinions regarding on the size.

I haven't purchased it yet, I think it looks bad too

If a plant doesn't grow well, or doesn't have proper nutrition, etc, from the begining, it will not be the same as healthy as others, in later years?

(sorry, english is not my native language!)

If a plant doesn't grow well, or doesn't have proper nutrition, etc, from the begining, it will not be the same as healthy as others, in later years?

First I would try to find another seller but if that person is the only one who has it, I would go for it. I too have bought plants in bad shape simply because they were either hard to come by, or because they were at a cheaper price for being in worse shape.

I don't think that if it doesn't have proper conditions it will affect growth later on ( anyone correct me if I am wrong here). Unlike humans or certain animals who only grow for part of their life, plants continue growing throughout their life. If they are off to a rough start it will take longer for them to reach maturity compared to a healthy plant grown in the exact same conditions.

Good luck!

Last edited:
That is nothing more than a seedling plant, image is terrible but both leaves visible might be pretty typical of health for that age so it might be in an okay state. I certainly wouldn't risk purchasing something that young because it has a far higher risk of dying from transport shock, and there is absolutely no way of knowing at this stage whether or not this is pure ampullaria, a hybrid, or another species entirely (it is a lowlander at least).

That is nothing more than a seedling plant, image is terrible but both leaves visible might be pretty typical of health for that age so it might be in an okay state. I certainly wouldn't risk purchasing something that young because it has a far higher risk of dying from transport shock, and there is absolutely no way of knowing at this stage whether or not this is pure ampullaria, a hybrid, or another species entirely (it is a lowlander at least).

Thank you guys :)

So it have not one year old? I read that seedlings are a very early stage for a plant, for 1 year maybe it should look more developed. I guess that pitcher it's about half a milimeter :S

Sorry I don't have more photos:sleepy:, and I didn't met the plant yet.

Last edited:
I would doubt it's even close to a year yet, as it looks like it's still within the range of the first handful of leaves. The seller should wait a lot longer to not only ensure the plant will survive, but also make sure it's established and at least a good idea of being the right species before even thinking to list it for sale.

Thank you all! I didn't buy it, haha.. But I will to another seller, a nep.Alba that looks healthy, and have more than 3 pitchers. I will try Ampullarias from seed.

Back