What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sanguinae brown leaves.

My concerns are based solely on 1) what the plant looks like right now, and 2) your growing conditions as you've described them. Thirdly, luck has nothing to do with successes in horticulture, its about skill. One does not acquire skill by wishing for it.
Why not aim for optimal, instead of settling for minimal? that's what I don't understand.

Last edited:
Agreeing with Whim here: while your plants are fine now, I've had plants of my own subsist in suboptimal conditions for several years before otherwise inexplicably dying off. If you don't change your conditions for the neps (and tropical Drosera as some of those depending on species don't like habitually cold nights) you may pay for it sooner than you think. 45F is pushing it for most neps other than the ultrahighlanders (even then perhaps only for short periods). The current state from what has been given is almost without any doubt cold damage, most directly from the snowmelt water on it but likely compounded by low temperatures, but without optimal conditions it is also that much harder to get it to recover from damage, and it may be more susceptible to other issues now that it has been hit.
Also, forgive me for being nitpicky but I've seen it several times now: the nomenclature is N. sanguinea, not sanguinae.

Agreeing with Whim here: while your plants are fine now, I've had plants of my own subsist in suboptimal conditions for several years before otherwise inexplicably dying off. If you don't change your conditions for the neps (and tropical Drosera as some of those depending on species don't like habitually cold nights) you may pay for it sooner than you think. 45F is pushing it for most neps other than the ultrahighlanders (even then perhaps only for short periods). The current state from what has been given is almost without any doubt cold damage, most directly from the snowmelt water on it but likely compounded by low temperatures, but without optimal conditions it is also that much harder to get it to recover from damage, and it may be more susceptible to other issues now that it has been hit.
Also, forgive me for being nitpicky but I've seen it several times now: the nomenclature is N. sanguinea, not sanguinae.

True that they will decline slowly over the years, but conditions are only cold for a month or so. If they grow in less than optimal conditions for only a couple months, won't this be negated by the other eight or nine months of the year when conditions are normal for it? Even then, the heat from the lights helps some, and every other week or so the temperature in the room goes up to sixty or so. 45 is only the coldest they ever get, and for the most part conditions are much better.

If it is your intent to persist in believing nothings wrong with your technique, then our opinions on the matter don't count. In that case, why ask for advice?

If it is your intent to persist in believing nothings wrong with your technique, then our opinions on the matter don't count. In that case, why ask for advice?

Because I was wondering what the thing wrong was, because evidently it was something. It appears to be the snowmelt. And I'm wondering how much I have to adjust because for the most part it's warmer. I'll put a thermometer in there to see what the average temperature is, because I only know the room outside the terrarium, which is notably warmer.

Because I was wondering what the thing wrong was, because evidently it was something. It appears to be the snowmelt. And I'm wondering how much I have to adjust because for the most part it's warmer. I'll put a thermometer in there to see what the average temperature is, because I only know the room outside the terrarium, which is notably warmer.

You gave the impression that you knew what the temperatures were in the enclosure at the time of posting. Hawken is correct; the species name is written sanguinea, not sanguinae. Confucius had something to say on the subject: "The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name". People will take you seriously when you do :)

You gave the impression that you knew what the temperatures were in the enclosure at the time of posting. Hawken is correct; the species name is written sanguinea, not sanguinae. Confucius had something to say on the subject: "The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name". People will take you seriously when you do :)

terrarium probably being hotter to about 60 during the day and fifty at night. Humidity is probably at about 60-70% in there
That doesn't look like I knew for sure what they were.

The spelling of this Nepenthes species' name is something I never get right. I've read that it's sanguinea several times before and just never remember it. Speaking of proper names though, I wouldn't be calling Kong Qiu 'Confucius' if I were you.

Getting ridiculous now, two letters mixed up...wow

Sad, isn't it croky?

I agree. Its absolutely dispciable.
Misinformation is the first step to Mis-info propagation!

Anyways, As everybody here has said before, you need to change conditions.
Either way, I find it strange that your growing ALL of these nepenthes in
those cold conditions... I would also recommend you change that as soon as possible.
ITs just inviting problems, even though there currently are none to be seen.

PS- can we get a picture of the entire garage nepenthes?

Last edited:
It's Hawken, by the way, but that's just pushing the issue....I try to keep my online conversations as level-headed as I can, but I try to keep facts straight too, as well as I can. If things spiral out of control you will see me either try and bring it back on track (better for the increased knowledge of everyone) or just leave the conversation altogether. As just about all the advice I can give has been said here though, this topic should be pretty well wrapped up...

My apologies Hawken, my spelling has always been terrible

Back