What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Frost Recovery

We've had in characteristically cold weather where I live so I've been hanging the plant out during the day and bringing it in at night to avoid the cold. But sadly, I left it out last night and the temperature hit freezing.

Now the majority of the leaves are brown and wilting, not to mention what was left of the pitchers are in bad shape. Can I salvage the plant by cutting of all of the brown/browning leaves to prevent the plant from giving them nutrients? Any help here is greatly appreciated as I fear I've caused mortal harm to the poor thing.

The best you can do is keep it warm and under healthy conditions. It may pull through, but it will most likely die if it got below freezing. sorry :(

Something similar happened to my ventrata, but it wasn't as bad. Like satanas said, give it good care indoors. Mine did fine and there was little to no further deterioration after wards. It was, however, only midway down the pitchers not and up to the leaves, as you described. The best of luck to your nepenthes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Would it do any good to cut the leaves back to the stalk or will that just make it worse?

Hi there, I lost many nepenthes to frost a few years ago when the folks I worked for at the greenhouse unplugged the heater and forgot to plug it back in- it hit 7 degrees F that night, and several hundred bucks worth of plants I'd had for years bit the dust.. and no apology.. it was excruciating. One was a huge n. Sanguinea that was older than I am. *sigh*..

But here's my thoughts- what species, how big, how bad a frost? Is the stem green or brown? General gardener thinking is that dying leaves drain energy (they take nutrients to sustain as they fail, but aren't photosynthesizing- the issue with cutting back is opening a bunch of entry points for disease on an already compromised plant..) Basal rosettes? If the upper portion of a vining species is frost burned, sometimes you can cut it back and salvage a single rosette.. My thoughts are to always try, even if it means trying something new just for the experiment. Can you pack the stem in live sphagnum, wrap it with floral twine and soak that thing in super thrive, hang it and see if it air layers? that sort of thing..why waste a good opportunity to try something. And if it works you can keep your plant *and* learn something new. I have a tiny rosette that broke off a spect x aristo my friend was "taking care" of- I found it wilted in the bottom of a bag after she'd fully killed the mother plant- stuck it in some sphagnum, prayed, and here we are today months later, and it's puttin out tiny pitchers :)

Hello. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to all of yours. I'm a complete amateur and still feel terrible that I made this mistake. I've been told my species is a hybrid N. x ventrata. I got it last March and it's gotten pretty big (probably around 20 pitchers at its peak), to the point I was going to repot it in spring. Some of the leaves still have some green, and the stems are still green. I can't figure out how to post a pic or I would just do that. Thanks again for your help.

Hello. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to all of yours. I'm a complete amateur and still feel terrible that I made this mistake. I've been told my species is a hybrid N. x ventrata. I got it last March and it's gotten pretty big (probably around 20 pitchers at its peak), to the point I was going to repot it in spring. Some of the leaves still have some green, and the stems are still green. I can't figure out how to post a pic or I would just do that. Thanks again for your help.

Usually if there is green there is life

You have a few options. You can take it inside and keep it very humid
in a homemade chamber, hoping it survives.

You can also leave it outside and wait to see if it will recover.

Pictures would be nice, but its really up to you. I have a very hard time putting outdoor plants into
ICU because they react different than plants under lights, which im used to.

Back