What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Lowii crosses

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I've recently become interested in N. Lowii, they seem like they would not like my climate. I'm in Ohio and the average summer high is 80-90 with a drop to the mid 70's at night. Are there any Lowii hybrids that would be happy in my climate?

Last edited:
I know someone who grows a lowii cross in Miami (or is it a (lowii x?) x?) I just don't remember what the cross was exactly so you definitely can, I just don't know which ones)

If you were to cross a lowii with an ultra lowlander I am assuming you would get a plant that could tolerate higher temps and not grow one leaf every two years ( sarcasm).

This may not be of direct help to you, but Exotica Plants should be putting up their catalogue some time soon, they have a temperature guide that you can look through to see what would be able to work in your conditions.

That said, if you go back to Red Lowii's thread see what hybrids he has, some of them are or were grown outside in summer conditions that sound like yours.

This may not be of direct help to you, but Exotica Plants should be putting up their catalogue some time soon, they have a temperature guide that you can look through to see what would be able to work in your conditions.

That said, if you go back to Red Lowii's thread see what hybrids he has, some of them are or were grown outside in summer conditions that sound like yours.

Thanks for the tip.

Update: it seems like Lowii x truncata is hard as rocks. I'm not sure if the forum allows for other nurseries to be mentioned, but if they are I would appreciate some advice on where to find one.

lowii x campanulata, lowii x merilliana, lowii x (spec x northiana) just to name a few. They tend to be really expensive and hard to find, for good reason though:boogie:!!

Are there any easy to find Lowii hybrids that would like my climate? What about pure Lowiis?

I don't think pure lowii's would like your climate (at least during the summer), especially if it gets dry. I don't grow them, but I hear that they are fine in slightly warm temps, but don't like the temps getting much past 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It would help to know where you plan to grow your Nepenthes.

Setting up a large terrarium with some lights in a cool basement might be a good option if you want to grow Nepenthes, at least until they get big.

I use to grow all my plants on a southwest facing windowsil with good success. I had lowii x boschiana there for a few years as well. They grow consistently but not super fast. If you have any questions let me know!

I use to grow all my plants on a southwest facing windowsil with good success. I had lowii x boschiana there for a few years as well. They grow consistently but not super fast. If you have any questions let me know!
Any photos? Where did you get it? What was your climate? Did you grow it outside at all? Wow, that was a lot of questions.

2015-03-14 00.16.49 HDR by Mitchell Jacobs, on Flickr

temp usually hovered around 65 to 70 depending on the time of the year and I never grew them outside and I don't think you'd have much success with them there honestly. I grew it via tray method and typically watered it when it dried out. The photo is one from when it grew in a grow tent I switched to in order to grow more plants.

Last edited:
That plant is amazing, truly amazing. But, if it can't handle my temps, I'll try a different hybrid. Thanks a million for the help.

Warm temperatures hovering around the 70's at night will probably suit really hardy or lowland-cross lowii hybrids only; pure lowii definitely won't like those conditions, and they're slow as heck from what everyone says (yet to grow one myself, but one day). N. lowii x campanulata as mentioned earlier might be a viable choice, or x merrilliana, but also as mentioned lowii hybrids in general are expensive and often sell out quickly (the only F1 lowii cross I have came through a trade, for a fair bit in return). They're also still slow

Curses. Oh well, I should probably just get a nice maxima from the gift shop of a conservatory I go to. Thanks for the help.

Are there any particular lowii traits you're looking for?

mostly the unique shape of the pitcher.

lowii x campanulata might be a good cross for you. However, it likely will be expensive, and you will have to wait until it produces upper pitchers to get that special lowii shape.

I think you'd do fine with almost all lowii hybrids. They are consistent growers but slow as others have pointed out. I have both a lowii x camp and the above and they pick up speed when they get larger. The first few months to tend to be the slowest as they acclimate and after that you get a really great show! What are your conditions? just curious

Back