What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues After Repotting

I recently repotted all my Nepenthes, the only thing that is making me second guess myself is that I didn't disturb the soil around the roots of the plants I just moved them to bigger pots and new soil around the original clump. The mixture is 70/20/10 of dried Chilean sphagnum moss, peat moss, and orchid bark. The problem I'm having is now the leafs on my N. Splendid Diana (max. x kampot) are now very soft to the touch and are fuzzy (peach fuzz) and my N. Kat Lester (Viking x mir.china) newly forming pitcher is now browning from the leaf to the pitcher. I want to say the Splendid experienced some dehydration, I remembered I forgot to soak the peat before potting it up. I sat the pot in some water for a few minutes to saturate everything (did that for all of them) and from now on I'll continue to flush the pots when they're dry to the touch like normal. But I'm not sure what could be going on with the N. Kat Lester... Sorry about the pictures, I can't get them to rotate.

N. Splendid Diana
r0r0c6.jpg

N. Kat Lester
o6wawy.jpg

Thanks,
Justin

Give the plants some time; but always saturate the peat moss in the future. Not doing so, is tantamount to placing dessicants in your pots.

A few minutes of soaking will not do the job . . .

With that being said would you recommend for me to soak them for awhile longer? After soaking them and giving them all one more top water flush the media in the middle is finally holding moisture. Lesson learned, take your time and check all the boxes.
A few minutes of soaking will not do the job . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd place them in a water-filled tray and leave them for the better part of a day. Watering from the top couldn't hurt either . . .

I'll drop them in a tray asap, I shouldn't be worried about rotting throughout this process? Also I feel like the lfs dries pretty quickly (at least the top layer for that matter) I'm used to only having to water them about two times a week since their old mix was what I think pure peat. Is three top water flushes a lot for your average watering with Nepenethes?
I'd place them in a water-filled tray and leave them for the better part of a day. Watering from the top couldn't hurt either . . .

Provided that one has a loose potting mix, there should be no issues with rotting. Most of my Nepenthes are in shallow, water-filled trays, especially while I am away, for a few days to a week or more. Just allow the trays to dry from time to time . . .

Put the pots in a tray and they all floated to the point where they almost tipped over, took the time to take out all the mixes in each pot and soak the mixture and repotted. I also added bark to the bottom of the pots and it drains faster which I prefer greatly. I'll keep you posted on how they recover over the week, thanks for your help and time!
Provided that one has a loose potting mix, there should be no issues with rotting. Most of my Nepenthes are in shallow, water-filled trays, especially while I am away, for a few days to a week or more. Just allow the trays to dry from time to time . . .

It's been five days since I've flushed the pots and this media is still fairly damp. I've read countless articles suggesting a mix of 60-70% lfs but with what I've been experiencing it keeps the media extremely damp, why is something like this recommended for a plant that doesn't like to be damp constantly?

I have always just soaked my media mix before potting. I use a 50/50 perlite sphagnum (sometimes even 60-50, more perlite than spagnum) and have never had any issues. I wait till the surface gets slightly dry and then top water till water comes out the bottom of the pot.

Back