What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I take the plunge?

Hey guys, I've grown a lot of different temperate CPs over the years with much success, but haven't really gotten into nepenthes besides by my 6 year old ventrata.
I'm thinking if venturing into intermediate nepenthes, because I can get closest to their conditions. I have a grow rack that gets about 70-80% humidity, but my biggest concern is temperature drop. I get to about almost 80 F during the day and around 66 F at night on average for the last month of me measuring, although it is only spring here in Iowa. From what I've read, Highlands are not an option here.
Any suggestions? Temperature drop enough?

Always take the plunge. It's easier than worrying. Start with cheaper and easier plants, perfect your techniques, and work your way up.

if your worried, go with an intermediate hybrid. Hybrids tend to be tougher. You might want to try N. maxima, if I recall correctly they live in both highland and lowland conditions and should work well. Hope that helps.

If you can prevent temps from dropping that low at night you could go straight into lowlands

sweet, I was researching and loved all the cool rare highlands types (like everyone), but soon learned that people were using fridges and the like to make them thrive, Id rather not kill a rajah or hamata. So I'll take a crack at some intermediate types and see how it goes. Thanks guys. Who knows, maybe I'll have a cooled greenhouse in the future.....don't tell my wife. ; )

I don't think highland chambers are that hard to build. If I'm correct (I've never built one myself) they basically consist of some kind of plastic tent, something to put the plants on, grow lights and an a/c unit to provide a temp drop.

I don't think highland chambers are that hard to build. If I'm correct (I've never built one myself) they basically consist of some kind of plastic tent, something to put the plants on, grow lights and an a/c unit to provide a temp drop.

the difficult part of this is that AC units like to drop the humidity to dangerous levels,
so you will have to have humidifiers running with AC as well. If your system is not well sealed,
you can have a puddle leak on your carpet or walls and encourage molds. keep in mind

the difficult part of this is that AC units like to drop the humidity to dangerous levels,
so you will have to have humidifiers running with AC as well. If your system is not well sealed,
you can have a puddle leak on your carpet or walls and encourage molds. keep in mind

Don't forget that AC's are expensive to run!

You can try growing them in a cool basement, then opening the window at night (unless it drops enough by itself). That is what I have done, and so far, all seems to going quite well. Unfortunately I may have to rig something up during the summer to get a decent tent drop, which is why I don't (currently, *wink wink*) grow anything like hamata or rajah.

Ok, evidently, highland chambers are more complicated than I thought. I still want one though.

Back