What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young nepenthes food.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Afternoon, terraforums. I have a very young n. ventricosa that I got from Lowe'. None of the pitchers are open yet, but when one does open I want to try feeding it some insects to speed up his growth. Any suggestions? Remember, these are really small, juvenile pitchers. Thanks.

Springtails, ants, and fungus gnats are all insects that small pitchers can be fed, or might even catch on their own. Betta fish pellets might also work, but I have never tried that. Another option is a fertilizer such as maxsea.

I use dried blood worms. They are small.

With younger plants, I would generally avoid feeding the pitchers; and, instead, use 1:4 strength 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer on the compost . . .

Last edited:
Second the blood worms. Cheap at the fish store, and you can break it down to powder if needed.

With younger plants, I would generally avoid feeding the pitchers; and, instead, use 1:4 strength 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer on the compost . . .
What do you mean by on the compost?

He means the soil.

I often add NPK pellets to the soil of my nep seedlings, but I believe a good water flow during watering is important when fertilising carns.

Otherwise I normally add pellet fish food to my traps, 1 small 1-2mm pellet is enough for a 2cm trap, anymore and it can rot.

Thanks, this probably seems like a stupid question, but what kind of fish pellets do you give them? Saltwater, freshwater, betta pellets? Thanks.

Thanks, this probably seems like a stupid question, but what kind of fish pellets do you give them? Saltwater, freshwater, betta pellets? Thanks.

People usually use betta pellets, though I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I like feeding ants to my small pitchers. I catch them in small jar then place them in the refrigerator for easy handling.

I've been squirting Maxsea into my small Nepenthes pitchers, though it hasn't been long enough to know how much it helps.

In addition to all of the above suggestions, there was a great article by veteran grower, Bob Sacilotto, in a 2004 CPN newsletter: CPN Samples

He went through great lengths to feed seedling Nepenthes, including the application of fertilizer into juvenile pitchers, using, of all things, hollow deer hair as a pipette. It is a scholarly article, which has helped me, over the years, both in growing highlanders -- and, indirectly, even with their micropropagation . . .

Nice article, but after reading it I want an Edwardsiana (curse my plant addiction). It should help with my ventricosa though, thanks.

You'd probably also be surprised at how much they can catch on their own. Even if they're in an enclosed environment. I'm consistently amazed at how many small gnats and midge like flys my small seedlings have caught when ever I peak into their pitchers. It seems my grow chamber has a sustainable population of them. Even the tiniest of newly formed pitchers even catch them, the pitchers are so small and thin you can see the shadows of its prey through the pitcher. But despite them catching their own food I still very much enjoy feeding them, after all thats what makes growing Cps so fun. At least for me.

Back