What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know whats wrong with my N. burkei?

A few months ago when I moved house I noticed my N. burkei had browning on the base of its leaves, well now a month after I discovered it, the browning has gotten quite severe and completely covers the base of the leaves.

kFAVyTm.jpg

fslOPlp.jpg

WyWXr2e.jpg

3hQRCQn.jpg

None of the other plants in my collection are exhibiting the same browning, despite them all recieving the same conditions and are all close enough that their leaves are touching (Which is odd if it were pests, Id expect them to have spread but I could be wrong)

Im thinking it might be some sort of rot problem?

If it is pests, can anyone identify what they might be? I inspected the plant but couldnt find any pests themselves or "dirt."

Keep that away from your other plants. It looks like a bacterial infection to me and you don't want it spreading to the rest of your collection.

Keep that away from your other plants. It looks like a bacterial infection to me and you don't want it spreading to the rest of your collection.

Anyway to cure it?

You might want to try cutting the infected portion off. I've never seen something like this on a nepenthes, it looks like crown rot on orchids. Do your own research, though. I'm really not sure about this thing. If you do cut off the infected portion, seal off the wound with candle wax to prevent secondary infection. I hope that helps.

How exactly would I cut it off...? The entire center portion of the stem seems infected... Id have to decapitate the plant to remove all of it.

Im thinking I might snip off all the leaves with sterilized scissors and then repot the plant, I failed to mention its been in the same media for 2 years or so now, might that be the problem?

What does the mixture consist of? It's possible the media is breaking down or that it just needs repoting. Two years is about the time to re-pot. But I'm no expert on nepenthes, I only own a ventrata and a ventricosa I bought two days ago. Did that infection move from the top down or the bottom up?

What does the mixture consist of? It's possible the media is breaking down or that it just needs repoting. Two years is about the time to re-pot. But I'm no expert on nepenthes, I only own a ventrata and a ventricosa I bought two days ago. Did that infection move from the top down or the bottom up?

Its just a standar 50-50 sphagnum perlite mix..

Im not sure if its moving up or down, it started as just a light speckle of brown on the base of the leaves.

Sashoke...this does not look like an infection. It looks to me like it is producing pitchers and growing a new leaf and pitcher out the middle. Looks like normal growth. I would wait for someone more experienced before I would start chopping pieces off. Just my two cents. I will be watching the thread carefully because I also have plants that have this.

Sashoke...this does not look like an infection. It looks to me like it is producing pitchers and growing a new leaf and pitcher out the middle. Looks like normal growth. I would wait for someone more experienced before I would start chopping pieces off. Just my two cents. I will be watching the thread carefully because I also have plants that have this.

Yeah Im thinking Ill give it more time, its just started making new leaves, Im going to see if the browning spreads onto new leaves as well.

I have to agree. I was trying to help, but I was really making an educated guess.

IS there any way you can get closer pictures, and more light

Also, how wet is this one? MAke sure to smell the pot as well.
If its sphagnumy, its fine. If it smells like rotten death you have either
decayed media or root rot.

IS there any way you can get closer pictures, and more light

Also, how wet is this one? MAke sure to smell the pot as well.
If its sphagnumy, its fine. If it smells like rotten death you have either
decayed media or root rot.

Sorry! Heres some better pictures, its strange because it seems to only be effecting the center three nodes, not the one below or above it:

o9bqLBV.jpg

QLEyXBv.jpg

hKovzNi.jpg

The sphagnum doesnt smell or anything and its kept damp/moist like all my other plants.

Is the brown section squishy or solid?

Back