What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swagalotus's Nepenthes

My new seedgrown nepenthes robcantleyi arrived on Wednesday. I just wanted to share my pics and update this thread as it grows.

Plant was fertilized on 3/26/16 with:

-7 osmocote in the soil
-1 osmocote in the pitcher
-Coffee in the soil
-Maxsea sprayed all over the plant, put in pitcher, and used to water the plant

Nice pitcher ya got there

Many thanks! For those worried about all the fert, the media will be thoroughly flushed tomorrow.

Funny you should mention; I was going to ask, but then I figured you probably had a plan in place. Good to hear!! :)

4/11/16 Update:

Tendril it came with is inflating extremely slowly, and a new leaf is coming out of the growth point. Pics will be added soon

Good luck. I've found this species to be kind of finicky and slow growing compared to some other plants I own. Maybe I need to fertilize mine.

Good luck. I've found this species to be kind of finicky and slow growing compared to some other plants I own. Maybe I need to fertilize mine.

Only time will tell!

Looks really nice, will look even cooler in the coming weeks as it darkens.

IME, rob is a nice steady grower once it settles in, but the settling in can take awhile sometimes.

Well since I going to be receiving many new neps, including my Edwardsiana which is arriving today, I am going to change this thread to Swagalotus's Nepenthes. I will post pics of my eddy as soon as I get it!
[MENTION=5846]adnedarn[/MENTION] could you change the title of this thread, or do I have to start a new one?

Last edited:
Done!

How do you thoroughly flush a pot that has 7 pellets of osmocote in the soil?

The media was flushed to get rid of the maxsea and coffee, not the osmocote. The pellets are slow release, so they aren't supposed to dump everything at once. Regardless, the plant is starting to grow a lot faster than it was before ( not saying this necessarily was caused by the ferts) so I'm happy with the way things are working out.

COOL! congrats on owning "the most sought after nepenthes in the world"

progress pics will be requisite.

The media was flushed to get rid of the maxsea and coffee, not the osmocote. The pellets are slow release, so they aren't supposed to dump everything at once. Regardless, the plant is starting to grow a lot faster than it was before ( not saying this necessarily was caused by the ferts) so I'm happy with the way things are working out.

I look forward to seeing the progress of your plant. There are some growers who have observed long term issues with over-fertilizing such as the decrease in pitcher production. I believe Geoff was one of them.

It's just my opinion but fertilizing with MaxSea, coffee, osmocote in the soil and pitcher within a week of receiving the plant may be overdoing it - even if you are seeing great growth at this time.

I agree that I probably over did it a bit, but it should be fine. I'll probably cut down on the ferts in the future.

Back