What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ventricosa x ampullaria sexes

apoplast

Science nerd at large
Hi TF - There are a couple nice and easy to grow ventricosa x ampullaria ("x vetrillaria", can that be a thing?), 'Lady Luck' and 'Bloody Mary'. Are these two different clones? And if so, does anyone one know what the sexes are for each of them? Sure, I could assume from the names that they are both female, which though possible, could just as easily be wrong. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Creating new mixed name for plants is not proper, so please stick to hybrid terminology or cultivar names. Yes, 'Bloody Mary' and 'Lady Luck' are different clones, but I do not know if anyone has yet flowered them, or if so what the sexes are. It is definitely not wise to assume they are female; after all, 'Rebecca Soper', the common 'Lady Pauline' and several other plants are male.

Creating new mixed name for plants is not proper, so please stick to hybrid terminology or cultivar names. Yes, 'Bloody Mary' and 'Lady Luck' are different clones, but I do not know if anyone has yet flowered them, or if so what the sexes are. It is definitely not wise to assume they are female; after all, 'Rebecca Soper', the common 'Lady Pauline' and several other plants are male.
I thought I saw a post on one of the Facebook groups by the creator of the cross that they were in fact the same plant? The cultivar name was just changed because it was more marketable

Hi hcarlton - Yes, I realize that creating new names is not "proper". It was said in jest. It was a play off N. x ventrata, which I also realize is published in 1979 and is thus legitimate.

Hi SFLguy - Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't be shocked if they were the same clone just marketed differently. They look remarkably similar, though that might be expected from crossing the same species. However, given the variability in N. ampullaria, and to a lesser extent N. ventricosa, you might think the the ventrillaria crosses (oh no, I did it again!) could display a degree of variability.

Though to HCarlton's point, if they are the same clone the second name shouldn't be "official" if the clone was already registered previously. Right? I can't keep all of the hybrid naming rules straight. Anyhow, I'd be curious to know if you happen upon the post again. Thanks again!

You're right, checked in on it again: "Lady Luck" is in fact just the market name for "Bloody Mary" (neither name has been officially registered yet either and so it technically is just ampullaria x ventricosa). It's much like S. leucophylla 'Cronus' is marketed under the trademark name Titan, 'Tornado' under Vortex, or 'Fireworks' under White Sparkler (which I find exceedingly dumb, because two names for the exact same thing, clonally, just leads to more confusion). One would think by now they would have officially registered one of the names......

Hi HCarlton - You sir, are a wealth of horticultural nomenclature information! Makes me think I should trademark the names out of under them and then make them buy them back. :-O

Back