What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland Nepenthes grown in "Inadequate" conditions.

Maybe the mythbusters would be willing to come out of retirement. Get to it MB!

I'm pretty sure most Nepenthes are hardier than people think they are.

I'm pretty sure most Nepenthes are hardier than people think they are.

Yes, you're probably right. I suspect one of the many reasons we think many, if not all pure nepenthes is quite fragile is because the sale plants are clones of fragile plants. While this isn't true for the whole species, it's true for the clones.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1509_zpsg1swg98i.jpg

IMG_1510_zpsy1cbawwm.jpg

and with friends like N.inermis, N.tenuis, and N.hamata--
IMG_1511_zpsnbk1yapg.jpg

That is amazing! Is that a BE Villosa?

Z

Yes, you're probably right. I suspect one of the many reasons we think many, if not all pure nepenthes is quite fragile is because the sale plants are clones of fragile plants. While this isn't true for the whole species, it's true for the clones.

That's certainly a possibility. I know certain available clones of plants, such as U. humboldtii, have been known to be very finicky. It's likely the same way with Nepenthes. It would be nice to see more seed-grown plants on the market.

That's certainly a possibility. I know certain available clones of plants, such as U. humboldtii, have been known to be very finicky. It's likely the same way with Nepenthes. It would be nice to see more seed-grown plants on the market.

I agree. Especially for the slight variations seed grown ones have. I do believe that the BE clones are at least clones of a tough Villosa though. Which brings me back to, if i can get my hands on one, trying one out. But, based on the small piece of evidence this thread has offered, it seems you either have to have at least high humidity, or high temp variations.

Z

Wow Thez! Kind of off topic but is that a N. ventricosa x hamata that is flowering??

Yeah, I think it's a BE villosa.

Dex: Yup, I definitely didn't expect it to bloom this soon.

wow congrats! Any clue on the gender yet? The pitcher looks so gnarly!

I'm guessing it'll be male. The pitcher is pretty rad!! I can't wait to see what it puts out as uppers because it's been gorgeous since the day I got it, and just keeps getting better.

Pix or it didn't happen! :p

This was him back in the day three years ago (I had 4... this one I named Simon, to distinguish them, my now only plant with a name!)
DSC_0026-1.jpg

This is Simon's peristome now
IMG_1478_zpsjckwa1ae.jpg

And his flower stalk
IMG_1513_zpsyed5cz9d.jpg

(sorry for the thread hijack!!)

That's quite impressive, and your pics are by no means a hijack! Thanks a lot for sharing all this information. Do you grow pure hamata?

Edit: Never mind, went back and saw you mentioned you have hamata as well. Pics?

Last edited:
Phew, oh good!

I've got two of em out on the balcony. One's unknown origin 'regular' hamata, one's a BE clone 'regular' hamata. RHH is temperamental so I'd stay away from that one unless you've got like... perfectly hl/uhl climate with perfect fogging capabilities, because I think they really need the humidity. I tried and nearly killed the thing (I only grow the survivors, :-)) ). One of the best Nep growers I know said they weren't an easy plant.

With those two of mine on the balcony, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong because it's taken them at least 4 years (maybe more?) for one of them to finally reach wanting to vine. I think my temps might actually be a little chilly for them because they've stayed rosettes forever, not that I'm complaining because the pitchers are gorgeous. At least for me, it's the canary in the mine for 2 things: pests and low humidity. If they start growing funny, time to neem everything because they get attacked first (and for mine it's always thrips). If the humidity drops, you just lost all your pitchers too. I'm sure those things haven't helped them over the years...

That being said, right now we're enjoying some terrible weepy wet overcast weather so the humidity's 50% so I'm getting some great hamata pitchers on the BE clone. The other one is pitcherless and trying to vine. Here's the BE (I brought it in real quick for a photo op, but in my first group photo of villosa on the balcony with friends, it's above and slightly to the left of the villosa):
IMG_1514_zpssgq2ztxg.jpg

IMG_1515_zpsi3nheu43.jpg

IMG_1516_zpssgqffe5y.jpg

My pitchers are small, a couple inches or so, because of the generally low humidity.

Back