What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher opened on cutting

I'm curious how common this is. I know a lot of people cut the leaves in half when rooting cuttings and won't get the chance but I thought I'd check anyway. When I received this cutting 2 months ago, the pitcher shown was about 1/3 the size. To my surprise it kept growing rather than dying back and is now opening. The new growth point on the cutting has only grown about 1/8" in that same amount of time.

mJH70fw.jpg

That looks like a really nice N. albomarginata, congrats. :) I usually only cut the leaves if I see that the bagged cuttings look desiccated after several days; otherwise I try not to mess with them too much. I like to keep the tendrils on as well, because I've rarely had cuttings that made pitchers before roots, and I prefer in-pitcher feeding to foliar or media fertilization.

It'll be nice once I can get these out of the bag. Unfortunately this pitcher is in the shadow of the pots, so it's not coloring up very well. The pitchers on this particular clone are nearly black with enough light. It looks like the growth point is developing a bit faster now that this pitcher is opening, so hopefully I don't have to wait too long.

Why don't you just turn the pot? Then the pitcher would be out of the shadow and would color up.

I'm pretty tight on space and the cuttings are in a rather small bag (it's all I could find) so I don't really have any room to shift them around. I'd also rather not move them and risk damaging new root growth.

Ah, I see.

Back