What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Rajah/Rajah hybrids

Hiya!

I've got a quite small N. Rajah x Mira growing in my chamber, struggling for now and I was wondering if anyone have pictures of a big(ger) one with pitchers? I can't seem to get anything satisfying from google.

Also, does anyone have any other Rajah hybrids? I think i can recall a N. Rajah x Mirabillis(?) somewhere here on the forum which i would really love to see now! And N. Rajah x Jacq! The sellers here in Europe stocked up on N. Rajah x Veitchii, but alas they were ripped from the shelfs and I missed my chance.

I've always wondered why nobody have crossed one with a N. Merrilliana yet. For some reason i envision that to be quite the hybrid.

Sorry for asking, and not sharing anything with my first post. I'll get to it as soon as i can!

Z

Nepenthes x [rajah x mira] photos

There are some larger examples toward the bottom of the page on Bob Z's database. Also check out N. 'Leviathan', Jeremiah Harris' cross between rajah and peltata.

I have N. rajah x jacquelineae, N. villosa x rajah, N. rajah x mira. They are all still very small but I can post some pictures later today if you're still interested.

I always have dreamt of a N. rajah x merrilliana as well! two of the largest and most magnificent nepenthes, one super low land and one quite high land perhaps might make for a giant intermediate.

By the Way Welcome to Terra forums!

-Jess

Last edited:
Yes, please:) I really like N. Jacquelineae as well. I think i saw someone else on the forum with that cross too. Hopefully it will be available around these part some day, and hopefully it'll perserve that great peristome with the largeness of the rajah!

Yeah, I'd imagine it would have a lot of great qualities, and quite easy to grow as well. I guess we'll have to cross them ourselves! That's 10-ish years well spent if you ask me.

Thanks!

Z

Rajah has also been crossed with platychila (or what EP refers to as platychila x fusca) and a few others. Attempts were made with robcantleyi and truncata as well, but I have heard no news of the former since and the latter failed....

Biggest Rajah x Mira pitcher to date:

IMG_20160329_124418.jpg

Nepenthes x [rajah x mira] photos

There are some larger examples toward the bottom of the page on Bob Z's database. Also check out N. 'Leviathan', Jeremiah Harris' cross between rajah and peltata.

Thanks! That's the one (actually three pictures) good picture I've seen of it, but I read somewhere that they vary greatly. Even though I'm a huge fan of Peltata and Rajah, the cross seem a bit boring to me. I guess it's gonna be quite good when it's bigger, and I guess the pictures I've seen of it doesn't do it justice.

Bob Z? Any links? (or am I misunderstading something?)

Z

- - - Updated - - -

Biggest Rajah x Mira pitcher to date:

IMG_20160329_124418.jpg

Whaat! That looks amazing! Great features, one can clearly see both the Rajah and the Mira. How big is it? And how long have you had it?

Z

Rajah has also been crossed with platychila (or what EP refers to as platychila x fusca) and a few others. Attempts were made with robcantleyi and truncata as well, but I have heard no news of the former since and the latter failed....

Yeah, Borneo (Rob) posted some teasers about the robcantleyi cross a couple of years ago. Too bad they didn't germinate, I imagine it would've been quite weird but still pretty cool plant. I'm getting my first robcaintleyi in the next couple of weeks; guess that's a future cross-project as well, haha.

Z

[MENTION=10863]Harow[/MENTION] WOW :0o:. [MENTION=12208]Zahl[/MENTION] I thought that all nepenthes could hybridize with each other?

Last edited:
[MENTION=10863]Harow[/MENTION] WOW :0o:. [MENTION=12208]Zahl[/MENTION] I thought that all nepenthes could hybridize with each other?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but I guess sometimes they don't set. And, thinking economically/hypothetically , Rob probably didn't want to risk another Robcantlyei harvest not to set, so they tried something else, e.g the N. Rajah x Veitchii BE sold to nurseries around Europe.

[MENTION=12208]Zahl[/MENTION] the plant is about 2-3 ft across, been growing it since 2014

[MENTION=12208]Zahl[/MENTION] the plant is about 2-3 ft across, been growing it since 2014

Then I'm guessing one of the first ones that hit the market (?) Man that's pretty fast! What are you feeding them? I'm guessing perfect HL conditions helps as well. I can't wait till mine, if it ever, gets to that size.

Z

Just normal highland temps, it is not as fussy.
I gave it Maxsea once a month, and it catches tons of slugs on its own (this pitcher already devoured 5 of them).
Oh...genetic lottery helped too lol

Just normal highland temps, it is not as fussy.
I gave it Maxsea once a month, and it catches tons of slugs on its own (this pitcher already devoured 5 of them).
Oh...genetic lottery helped too lol

I need to get my hands on some Maxsea then. Do you fertilize it like one would do with the coffee method or are you mixing it with water and using it as foliar spray? I've never read up on using maxsea. Tried coffee though on some of my easier, hardier neps, quite pleased with the results.

Z

Used it as directed, directly applied to roots. Just a tiny bit each month, maybe two tablespoons worth while it is still smaller.
Lately it has been gulping about half a cup or a cup since it has many basals.

Last edited:
Used it as directed, directly applied to roots. Just a tiny bit each month, maybe two tablespoons worth while it is still smaller.
Lately it has been gulping about half a cup or a cup since it has many basals.

Ah man, even basals. I'm dying to see the whole plant now. May I be so bold as to ask for a picture of the whole plant? For me, the folliage is almost as important as the pitchers, almost. Even after a year, I still am amazed every time i look at the heart shaped leaves of my small n. truncata.

Z

I'll upload some pics tonight or so

Thought I had some pics of the basal but I guess I don't and will have to take a pic later for that.
Here's the full size of the plant, taken January 6th of this year, before it inflated its biggest pitcher that I posted.
I'd love to take a full pic of it again but it is in the middle of nep forest and you won't be able to see the size clearly

RxM.jpg

Thought I had some pics of the basal but I guess I don't and will have to take a pic later for that.
Here's the full size of the plant, taken January 6th of this year, before it inflated its biggest pitcher that I posted.
I'd love to take a full pic of it again but it is in the middle of nep forest and you won't be able to see the size clearly

RxM.jpg

Oh wow, what size! That's really impressive. I've seen so many neps with a weird pitcher-to-leaf ratio, but yours is really good. No wonder the pitcher was so big. I'm even more amazed that you've manage to get it to this size in just a couple of years. Even with the help of the hybrid vigour, both its parent species is quite slow growers, especially rajah.

And, I'm going to steal the genious colander/strainer-pot idea.

Thank you for sharing, this is absolutely what I was looking for.

Z

Not much to look at right now, but still. . .

N. rajah x jacquelineae.

Back