What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes lowii x ephippiata

I've been growing this odd hybrid and I was wondering who else is? I'd love to see what everyones looks like. Mine is still small but has put on some good size in the last few months.

That largest pitcher is about 4-5". Has anyone observed uppers on this plant yet?

Why would you say it's odd? The two species are closely related, and I believe the only two to produce the thick white nectar on the lid. I've seen a few pictures of this cross before, it's quite nice!

Thats exactly why I think its an odd hybrid, they're almost identical plants. But not just any two very similar plants. They're both relatively slow growing, both highlanders in the truest sense, they could easily be mistaken for one another if not familiar. Its just a strange combo IMO. What does one gain by hybridizing them? IDK....

you bring up a good point though about the white foamy nectar, has anyone observed this hybrid with that nectar as well? I would assume it produces it as well.

Last edited:
I would think the purpose of hybridizing them would be to attempt to introduce some "hybrid vigor" while maintaining the very unique pitchers.

And yes, I have seen pictures of this cross with the same white nectar.

Thats what one would assume is a base interest whenever hybridizing, but it doesn't appear to have worked in this case, lol. Maybe slightly faster then lowii, but my ephippiatas seem to be able to out pace it. Perhaps its just mine or my growing conditions, so I look forward to hearing from others growing it.

On those that you saw with nectar was it on uppers? I've not seen pics of uppers yet.

thanks

Last edited:
I've only seen pictures of lowers for this cross, sorry.

Here's a few pics. of mine it's small but growing faster than my lowii and ephippiata in the same growing space.
DSC_0004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

yours is sooo nice! I really like the rich pinkish red color.

The reason to cross these two species together is simple:

For science.

Whatever the reason, both of the plants posted here look great! This hybrid has actually been on my short list for a while now.

Back