What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ventrata

Hello guys,

What is going on with this ventrata?... i give it 5 hours of direct sunlight and it is standing next to a sanguinea and a rebecca soper that look good. Some time ago I had problems with its pitchers not totally forming and leaves all green, now it's the complete oposite: dark big pitchers and brown dead leaves :(
N. Ventrata
075f8f4cab62fd0680125978fbb60314.jpg

0b867cc49009f0eabf4339255c530a2a.jpg

N. Sanguinea (supposedly)

f032ded8f564643e67abf506fb5cbdb6.jpg
e230c2adb6b0ebacd4b33e202d272f32.jpg

N. Rebecca soper

806e8e88c7b7ecb6ea9febc5b841323c.jpg
d7fd2147ee5f081b53734940470e9cc0.jpg

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A500FU folosind Tapatalk

The new leaves look fine, as do the pitchers. I think you are seeing normal leaf and pitcher die-off. The plant doesn't look abnormally dark to me, and since it is pitchering I don't think there are any big problems. If the new growth starts looking deformed then you have a problem.

If the new growth looks deformed what kind of problem would it be? Cheers

Sent from my Aquaris E5 using Tapatalk

It would depend on the deformation.

The plant looks fine; the leaves don't last forever and this hybrid tends to have a really fast growth/die-off rate, the vines lengthening rapidly and old leaves dying off to leave long stretches of woody bark. As long as it's pitchering fine it's okay, and as mentioned if any deformations occur there are a thousand causes and more info would be needed to diagnose something like that (but nothing visible now so I see no reason to worry).

As everybody else has said already, your plant is fine, nothing to worry about. Old leaves and old pitchers die off eventually. As long as the NEW growth doesnt look deformed then youre OK.

If you dont like the unsightly woodiness, and there is another basal present, you can cut that stem off and make some cuttings from it.

If there is no basal, you can let the stem hang over the side below the soil line and it should put out a basal or two in the next few weeks, then you can lop off the vine. I cut mine regularly to keep a more compact plant.

Keiki past, or any 6-BAP preparation really, can also be used to induce basaling. It works really well and is much stronger than kelp. I like weekly 1\2 strength kelp fertilization to keep them robust and bushy. Then add keiki paste if I need a basal rapidly, or if it is still in the rlsette stage.

Back