What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unexpected Nepenthes Germination

I don't know what got into my head that day, but I decided to order a mix some Nepenthes seeds from eBay in January. I received them about 3 weeks later. When I got them, I knew there was no way they could still be viable. I sowed them anyway. I sowed almost all of the seeds on chopped LFS and the others on a growing N. Ventrata's pot. The seeds that were on LFS grew mold and therefore did not germinate. Today, I was inspecting the Ventrata and boom. There was one little seedling that only had cotyledons. This is really unexpected because one: they were bought from a seller that probably had expired seeds and two: there was frequent temperature drops and low humidity. Does anybody know why this happened?

I'll try to post pics when I have the time to.

Temperature and humidity aren't absolute requirements - they just generally speed up the process and improve germination rates.

thats pretty cool. I've had that happen as well. one time out of about 200 seeds I got literally one seed to germ

Back