What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was doing my fertilizing today so I decided to take some pics as well,

N. robcantleyi

N. truncata "red flush highland"

N. veitchii x burbidgeae

I'm really into N. peltata right now but mine is in an awkward place to take pictures so these are the best I can do. My pelota is doing crazy leaf jumps right now so I'm pretty excited about it.

Anyone know how big they have to get before N. peltata starts becoming more squat and tubby?

I've heard rumors that most of the non-sg plants in cultivation may actually be hybrids, but I don't know the basis for that...

thats quite disappointing if its true. If that is ever confirmed I'll have a few peltatas for sale....

Last edited:
Well I suppose it would be a natural hybrid? Still a plant well worth growing in my opinion

Those are some fantastic plants. wow :)

Looking good!

Any chance we might be able to see them without the LED lights? Interested to see the colouring on the N. truncata.

Sure I can take a picture with just the 6.5K T5's on later today, it does have a "red flush" to it so its naming is somewhat accurate.

Looking good!

Any chance we might be able to see them without the LED lights? Interested to see the colouring on the N. truncata.

Heres the pics of the N. truncata "red flush highland" with the LEDs off. These pics are pretty darn close to what it looks like in real life. When the pitchers first open they're a light pink then they slowly darken to this maroons red color over time. The color really does have a "flush" appearance so it certainly is appropriately named.

those splotches are actually nectar that have oozed out. You can also see some collecting around the peristome and lid. Out of all the varieties of truncata I've grown, this on secretes the most nectar. I recently pruned all the dead pitchers and leaves off and when I picked it up the pot was absolutely sticky like it had dried syrup on it.

Last edited:
Thanks! Looks quite nice, and interesting to hear about the nectar.

its a nice variety of truncata, I have two other ones but they are quite small right now. It will be really neat to see how it progresses into maturity. I'm really hoping the whole pitcher flushes red.

Anyone else have a mature truncata of this variety? how is its coloring?

Any updates? Also, clear your inbox!!

I'll be posting some updates. This weekend. Growing plants in a box makes it tedious to take pictures and such so I don't do it often. My in box is now clear ;-)

thats quite disappointing if its true. If that is ever confirmed I'll have a few peltatas for sale....

At least the single clone from BE is suspected to have some N. justinae or N. hamiguitanensis (which itself is a stabilized hybrid between N. peltata and N. justinae) parentage in it, even large plants of the clone are pretty elongated but IMO rather beautiful. Here's a picture (not mine) of a larger BE plant. I think we'll have to wait a while to be sure but once there are some flowering sized plants of BE's clone, it should be more obvious since both N. justinae and N. hamiguitanensis are viners. To my eye the BE plant looks like mostly N. peltata in any case; there are some pictures of wild plants that look more like primary crosses on Wikipedia.

Nonetheless, I really dig the BE clone, too bad they only have the one.

Last edited:
I just saw a BE peltata posted on eBay yesterday and it's being listed as N. peltata x hamiguitanensis. I agree it is quite a nice-looking plant.

Perhaps They should have waited to release it, to see if it was what they were selling it as. I agree Its a lovely and great growing plant, I love mine. I have several of the BE ones and they're great. I just wish I could get my hands on a "pure" version that has that famous squat shape.

Flipside , Wistuba has them in stock I was thinking of ordering myself one as he says they are easy growers, and I agree the squat one looks fine

Last edited:
Back