What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X bill Bailey male??

Hi there this is my first time posting here. I'm over the other side of the pond in Edinburgh.
I bought a n x bill Bailey in 2012 in a small bio dome which contained two small plants, from a very reputable cp nursery in the uk who buy direct from BE. It is flowering for the first time this year for me, so when I knew it was starting to put out a flower stalk I arranged for some interesting pollen to be sent to me, the different types have already been sent. And too my surprise my bb has opened a make flower, this so weird as another uk grower a few years ago flowered his bb and it was a female. Both of our plants look identical, I believe he purchased his from the same nursery around the same time. So my question is, can a nepenthes change sex?
Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that, like the case of 'Lady Pauline,' there were in fact at least two identical clones that ended up being distributed and one ended up male while the other female. However, it is known some Nepenthes can switch sex for reasons yet unknown, going from male to female and vice versa. More common is plants with mutant monoecious flowers, but there is a thread on the forum here detailing the occurrence of a gender-switching N. vogelii.

I would guess that its more likely that you and the other guy got different clones -
My bill bailey is female as well

Back