What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N sanguinea

There is a specimen of sanguinea en route to our house this week, and I was wondering how big their root systems can get and what size pot we should put it in. The claim is that its a 6 inch hanging basket- but six inches isnt even enough to hold the roots of our capensis! Do you guys think that will be enough space?

I have absolutely no experience with n. sanguinea, but I do know this. Many species of nepenthes can handle ridiculously small pots for their size. I've heard of n. Ventrata specimens that are 5' vines that are in the 6" hanging pots they came in and were thriving.

Those 6" hanging pots are pretty standard for Nepenthes and will probably suit it just fine. Some species have smaller root systems and may get away with a smaller pot.

Nepenthes roots are much different from that of other CPs. They don't go too deep into the soil, so a six inch pot sounds like plenty of room. I doubt you would really need anything bigger.

A Nepenthes generally will withstand the small pots, even a large specimen, but that doesn't mean their root systems can't get big. Nepenthes are designed to acquire some nutrients from the soil as well so they often can have larger roots systems than most other carnivores (except for maybe Sarracenia) and will spread out if given the chance. N. sanguinea is one of the ones that will be okay rootbound, but bigger pots still often result in bigger plants.

My N. sanguinea is currently in a standard green 3.75" square pot and pushing several feet worth of vines. I haven't repotted it in years but the species is among the hardiest of all Nepenthes.

You probably won't need to if it grows anywhere near as quickly as mine does. If you really want to, just put an Osmocote pellet in each pitcher.

Well I like to feed my plants, so I'll just probably feed them at will. One thing I've heard mixed messages on is whether or not to put water in the pitchers themselves, some places say to put water in dry pitchers and others say its bad- what to do?

There shouldn't be any need to add water to the pitchers, and it can dilute the digestive juices. One thing I have discovered is that raising the liquid level above the digestion zone can burn the pitcher walls if there are enough nutrients present and that can make it tricky to use liquid fertilizer.

One thing I read says the movement of bugs inspires pitchers to produce more digestive fluid, is that true in your experience? Or does a dry pitcher just tend to refill itself eventually?

Dry pitchers refill themselves. They will also withstand being dry until they fill themselves. If they start to die off, it is probably just due to the shipping stress and/or change in location.

Back