What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. splendiana x [(veitchii x maxima) x veitchii]

Hey, is anyone on here still growing this cross? A few years ago there was a forum member that made the cross and distributed it to others. I even managed to get a couple. In the time that I grew it it was one of my plants. From what I saw in mine and other's there was a very large amount of variation. I'm curious to see if anyone is still growing it here and what the mature plants look like.

Here are a few of mine before I lost them.

Does anyone have more mature examples of this hybrid to show?

Nice plants, [MENTION=12256]Grey Moss[/MENTION], especially the one with the red peristome & upturned lip! Sorry to hear that they're no longer with you :(

Here's an older thread showing some other clones from this grex:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/tropical-pitcher-plants-nepenthes-/136011-splendiana-veitchii-maxima-veitchii-3.html

I think [MENTION=5029]JB_OrchidGuy[/MENTION]'s plant has the most impressive peristome of the surviving clones. Mine is vigorous & blooms all the time (male). A couple photos from February 2015:

About a year ago, when it was repotted in November 2015:

And its biggest pitcher yet, from earlier this summer:

Last edited:
Mine is still growing strong. 6' vine, multi growth points and still in a 4" pot! Lol mine is female. There is a post here on it. It grows like mad.

Very nice. Its good to hear that they are so vigorous. Have you guys used yours to create more crosses? The N. veitchii parentage is really apparent when you look at the mature vine.

I did a half-hearted attempt to back-cross mine with x splendiana. The pods don't look very promising. Perhaps a cross with something else would have produced better results. I'll probably have to wait till next year to try. If you'd be interested in seeds, let me know -- I likely won't have room to grow any of them out.

That's very generous of you. Please do keep me in mind for the future. I've never started neps from seed but I'd love to try my hand at it eventually.

I have x splendiana x tiveyi, which is nearly the same but lacking just a smidge of the extra veitchii; in any case, anything with maxima in the parentage or any complex composition is going to be extremely variable, and these guys are hardy too so crosses along these lines ought to stick around for a while and be plentiful.

Still going!

I had gotten 2 of these, and traded 1 away. The 1 I kept survived moving to a new house with me. It was finally taken out of the 4" pot it's been living on and got a new home of it's own this past April. Only because it was taking over the terrarium...

One more picture of a pitcher that just popped, before the transplant.

Back