What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Root rot??

So I noticed my N. x hookeriana wilting. I picked it up, and noticed that four ferns were growing out of the bottom. As I pulled them out the plant swiveled- it rotated around 360 degrees! After freaking, I tugged on it faintly, and it slide right out of the media. It only had one root! Media smelled not great - a little like soil, but it hadn't broken down much. I replaced it anyway and repotted, and cut most of the leaves in half. I didn't take any pictures, but is this the infamous root rot?

photos would help, what are you using for media, growing conditions ect? In the mean time i would place a bag over it and give it added humidity until you see some signs of growth then slowly acclimate it to regular conditions.

Cant say if its root rot or not without pictures, but tugging Nepenthes out of its media, no matter how gently is a horrible thing to do. Their root are very deicate, its possible you simply tore the rest of the roots off when you tried pulling it up.

Ive gone as far as to cut pots in half down the sides when repotting particularlly overgrown Nepenthes.. but usually you'll just want to move the media off of it and slowly work it out.

Back