What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frosty attenboroughii

mikefallen13

Mr. veitchii
Well, this goes to show why shipping plants this time of year can be rather treacherous (though I may have lucked out in this case). I won two SG attenboroughii on eBay, I got the tracking notification on Saturday and according to USPS these were supposed to arrive today. However, apparently the package was delivered yesterday and was wedged in my mail box with the rest of my junk mail where I found it this morning. The tracking still hasn't updated as of now, gotta love USPS. Temperatures were sub-freezing (27 degrees) last night so I was expecting two frozen or mushy attenboroughii, I was quite surprised when the plants themselves actually looked fairly good.

The potting media was actually frozen about 1/3 of the way up the pots, but luckily the root zone looked to still be unfrozen when I repotted them, so I'm hoping the roots are mostly intact. I'll be sure to update on the outcome of these, wish me luck!

You should be able between the timespan of 2 days, to one week if they have been damaged.

From the photos, I would say that they have Survived and dodged a narrow icy death.
usually when plants die from frost, you can tell pretty quickly.
Keep us updated

The plants certainly look OK, but you'll find out soon if there's any damage. I am curious why they are so green, when my attenboroughii has olive-colored leaves.

The plants certainly look OK, but you'll find out soon if there's any damage. I am curious why they are so green, when my attenboroughii has olive-colored leaves.

The variability on these plants is amazing.

My 2 seedgrown attenboughiis

7qFkwHml.jpg

Last edited:
That is quite interesting, my plant looks just like the top one (but smaller.)

These seem to be quite variable when it comes to color, the other atten I've had for several months has reddish leaves but as can be seen here ( Redirect Notice ) the variation is extreme. It also doesn't help that my pictures were taken in my horribly lit basement, the plant in the second picture has a lot of red in it when under good lights.

Did your N. attenboroughii survive? I just received a N. robcantleyi in a similar state. No frost, but very, very cold. Surprisingly it looks ok. Despite it being sent 2-day priority mail, it took 6 days to get to me. Long enough for the 72 hour heat pack to expire. It was 10F this morning.

Yes, they did survive and are even beginning to resume growth. I'm honestly pretty amazed they survived and with such little damage. Here's a pic of them I just snapped a few minutes ago (attens on the right, obviously).

I hope your rob makes it, I really hate losing plants due to USPS making stupid mistakes.

Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic after seeing your post. Glad your plants are recovering. Looks like I won't be buying neps for the next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back