What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep lights timing

Anyone have any experience with growing Neps under lights during the nighttime? Electricity prices are cheaper at night so it's more economical to run your grow lights then instead of during the day time. I wanted to run my lights 13 hours on/11 hours off from 8pm-9am or something similar, but I originally balked at the idea because I feared that they might not like their circadian rhythm being thrown off. I figured that I should just give them light during the day time like they're used to, since I was also trying to adjust them to stronger lights and lower humidity. So far, my neps have been doing fine under lights that are on during the daytime. But if anyone else has had positive results while using grow lights at night only, then I don't think it would do too much harm to change my lighting schedule and save some money on electricity bills.

I have my lights on at night and my plants do just fine. I don't think they care as long as you are consistent with it.

You may save money on electricity for the lights, but don't forget to factor in the cost of reversing the temperatures.

Temperatures shouldn't be a problem for me. My setup is just T5s and a fan on a grow rack with a plastic cover; the T5s provide enough heat to keep my LL neps happy. I will try switching my light schedule sometime and see how it goes from there. Good to know that it has worked for others.

If you're growing lowlanders then it shouldn't be a problem because temperature drops aren't as important for you.

I know for me personally I couldn't have the lights on at night because my setup naturally gets quite cool at night and I grow mostly highlanders.

Other than that, perhaps making sure that the plants get true darkness throughout the day may ensure that they are satisfied with their lives.

Back