What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what do you think

• Thread starter gkjr
  • Start date
I know the question I am going to ask probably has been asked over and over. I took my intermediate nepthenes out of its terrarium and put it on my south facing window seal. The question I have is do you think it will be okay there? the temp is between 90-95 and humidity is at 25%. I don't know what it gets at night yet, but I will update in the morning on that. I plan on buying a humidifier and putting it around it. And I also mist it in the morning and night.

The nepenthes is a Brunei red X (spectabilis 'giant X ventricosa) and I am also thinking of putting my n. alata there too.
I know it might be one of thoses deals try it and see, but what are your thoughts.

They will probably survive. Not sure how well they will pitcher. They probably will like the warmer daytime temp and the cooler nights. Don't let them dry out.

[Edit: I should point out that I'm a noob at growing tropical pitcher plants compared to some other people on these forums.]

Last edited:
25% humidity at 95 degrees seems a bit low, even if a humidifier is going. If you see any leaf burn you should protect your plant from direct sun during the hottest part of the day.

Personally I think that 90 + degrees will probably be bad news for most plants unless they are pure lowlanders.

Personally I think that 90 + degrees will probably be bad news for most plants unless they are pure lowlanders.

I'm with you on that one.

25% humidity is ok if you acclimate it slowly. I hope you bagged it when you pulled it out of the terrarium, to acclimate slowly. If you just suddenly decrease humidity the plant could maybe handle that ok, but mostly likely you'll get all the pitchers dropping off and the plant stalling for a while. In a worst case scenario, the plant might die in case it was in high enough humidity in terra to not have enough roots to pick up enough water outside.

When it gets to 100F here during Santa Anas (desert winds for a few days at a time) time of the year, I worry about all the plants because I grow intermediate/highlanders and they're really not cut out for that. If you're giving it a decent temp drop at night it's probably ok for a little while, but I hear if you keep them that warm, they grow really fast, and you need to stay on top of feeding them a lot to keep up.

I've never had trouble with humidity adjustment with Nepenthes. They're going to lose the old pitchers anyway so just get it over with. The plants might slow down for a short time but will be back to normal growth in no time. I will agree though that temperatures above 90 do not sound good for non-lowland species.

Back