What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes cuttings pics.

• Thread starter thelarge
  • Start date
9020C6AC-3232-48B7-AFE5-54F378CA30DC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Quick share of my cuttings done three months ago in perlite.Alittle more than half survival rate.
157991EE-94C5-4073-BB82-4B7E46184000.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Nice roots

Trying the perlite method eh? What species/hybrids do you have in there?

What species are you rooting? Have you found a benefit in rooting in perlite over just water?

Ya perlite method it's the only way I have ever done so I can't compare.
I had a few diffrent type N.intermis,sibuyanensis x hamata,Marbled Dragon,truncata x ephippiata, ramspina and reinwardtiana.

An interesting collection of plants there. Did any of them root better than the others? I'm curious if some just don't like the perlite.

The 4 Nepenthes intermis cuttings didn't root and the I only got one of the three ramspina to root.But who's to say that it was the perlite.They could be just a difficult plant to root in general. This perlite method is straight from S.N.W.

Yep I was told about it by another local grower. I've only done it once, but it was successful with both the albomarginata cuttings I used it with. The first time I tried I used a regular LFS/perlite mix and was successful with a ramispina cutting as well as 1/2 "Triffid" cuttings, but lost a number of others.

I think it may help to use a drained container so you don't accidentally overwater. Well-drained perlite seems to hold just the right amount of moisture for cuttings.

I've had success with LFS/perlite/orchid bark, but I may have to try that perlite method some time. It seems like the cuttings would be easier to separate once rooted as opposed to any LFS-based mix.

The 4 Nepenthes intermis cuttings didn't root and the I only got one of the three ramspina to root.But who's to say that it was the perlite.They could be just a difficult plant to root in general. This perlite method is straight from S.N.W.

I've tried to root Nepenthes inermis cuttings a few times without any success, mostly in live sphagnum. On a list of difficult cuttings to strike, N. inermis is definitely up there. Anecdotally, I get the best strike rate in my regular mix of sphagnum and perlite or live sphagnum (generally 80-90%); the water method and the perlite method were comparable for me (60-70%), although rooting seems to take longest in water.

I've tried to root Nepenthes inermis cuttings a few times without any success, mostly in live sphagnum. On a list of difficult cuttings to strike, N. inermis is definitely up there. Anecdotally, I get the best strike rate in my regular mix of sphagnum and perlite or live sphagnum (generally 80-90%); the water method and the perlite method were comparable for me (60-70%), although rooting seems to take longest in water.

Yeah, add to that mikei which doesn't readily root either. I also haven't had any luck with inermis and I know someone who when they took cuttings, the whole inermis vine they took cuttings from died back too! I think glabrata didn't work out either.

Back