What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast pitcher die off and leaf tips browning

• Thread starter SFLguy
  • Start date
99fa06108655b28992685e116b885e8a.jpg

Does anyone know what could be causing this to my truncata? The plant used to keep pitchers for a few months at a time and now they die (well the top of the pitcher becomes brown and dry) within 3 or 4 weeks. The plant also started getting these makings (red splotches that eventually turn the surrounding leaf yellow) on the leaves around the same time.
The plant is getting sun through an East and South facing window all day (acclimated it slowly and it never burned). Humidity is around 60%-70% and temps are from 80 in the day to 70 at night. I fertilize with 1/4 strength maxsea but even pitchers that haven't been fertilized do this.
I let these plants dry a bit but never to the point that they're drooping from lack of water like I've accidentally done on other plants, could this be affecting it? I've looked all over for signs of bugs but the pitchers never develop warped or anything and the leaf tips are the only places that I see the damage until it spreads down.

I have the same issue !!
dc43661098a6074244fc734aa031e7e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pkawaski, your issue is not the same, that is more likely sunburn from nectar spots on the lids of your Sarracenia or some similar reaction due to temperature and moisture etc.
For SFLguy: it looks somewhat like a possible leaf rust due to the plant being stressed by something else in its environment or, perhaps, if those leaves are up against something it's burn from condensation or temperature reactions. Pitchers that are heavily fed will naturally senesce rapidly as they focus on taking in the collected nutrients without gathering more nutrients in the same pitcher, killing off the top while the bottom absorbs what is captured (and truncata when older tends not to have more than one or two pitchers fully active at any one time).

Thanks hcarlton!

pkawaski, your issue is not the same, that is more likely sunburn from nectar spots on the lids of your Sarracenia or some similar reaction due to temperature and moisture etc.
For SFLguy: it looks somewhat like a possible leaf rust due to the plant being stressed by something else in its environment or, perhaps, if those leaves are up against something it's burn from condensation or temperature reactions. Pitchers that are heavily fed will naturally senesce rapidly as they focus on taking in the collected nutrients without gathering more nutrients in the same pitcher, killing off the top while the bottom absorbs what is captured (and truncata when older tends not to have more than one or two pitchers fully active at any one time).

It's not up against something so I'd lean towards rust, plus it reminds me more of that than a burn. I know pitchers that are fed die faster but even the unfed ones were dying quickly but if truncata doesn't hold many pitchers at once then that makes more sense.
Thanks for the info!

I find my truncata rarely holds on to more than a couple of pitchers at the same time without them starting to die off and from a few posts I've read in the past this seems to be common on larger plants. I also think truncata likes to be kept dryer than other neps I grow, it seems to get yellow patches on its leaves that turn to dead brown patches if I keep it too wet

Hey guys I have my sundew thats started to flower, do they produce seeds by themselves? Do I have to germinate them? Any advice and instructions will be greatly appreciated, information on the internet is abit contradicting lol
7a484eee4a3953ff606b619461e3a52e.jpg
bf3eeb1494e9107e5358dc67ca57a137.jpg

Capensis is one of the species that is self fertile and will self pollinate on its own. The seeds also don't require any special treatment to germinate. In general, most of the subtropical drosera are self fertile and pollinating.

So the moment I see seeds do I just cut the stalk and plant the seeds in the peat moss soil?

Drosera flower sequentially, meaning the lowest flowers will be ripe before last ones have even flowered. I'd wait until you see the pods dry out and turn brown. Then you can cut them off and open them. You don't want to bury the seed. Just scatter them on the surface and lightly mist them to settle them. The seed are also very tiny. It'll look like a bunch of black dust at first glance

I find my truncata rarely holds on to more than a couple of pitchers at the same time without them starting to die off and from a few posts I've read in the past this seems to be common on larger plants. I also think truncata likes to be kept dryer than other neps I grow, it seems to get yellow patches on its leaves that turn to dead brown patches if I keep it too wet

Well I'm definitely growing it drier than most people do haha though it may have been getting a little more water than usual lately.
Hopefully it's just because the plant is aging and nothing more sinister.

Thanks grey moss!!

Back