What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

campanulata quasi bonsai project aka "into the crevasse"

• Thread starter amphirion
  • Start date
no idea even if this puppy is feasible, but i'd like to try.
concept was inspired by our very own Clue.
thread is meant to document my progress (or failure) in my attempt to make a bonsai-esque set up for the camps.

background:

got some glorified limestone pieces (ryuoh stone)
EDUX0cO.jpg

add aesthetics and use epoxy to seal the deal. apologies for the green algae residue. i recycle reduce and reuse.
FEAWOES.jpg

place and secure in pot. add a thin layer of scoria to fill up most of the pot.
wqjTniM.jpg

then topped off with some fine turface.
cZZ4ZHA.jpg

this crevasse will be where the majority of the campanulata will be planted. goal is to have a trail of campanulata cascading out of that cliffside.
NlPZGhP.jpg

currently, my plan is to acquire some moss. need something that is compact, and small. it will be used for lining up that crevasse so the neps will have something to drink out of. so far, no luck.

that's it for now. toodles.

Last edited:
If it works it will be a vary stunning display.

Those limestone pieces really fitted together nicely. Even if the camp idea flops, still would make for an attractive setup with other plants. What are the "mountain's " dimensions?

Last edited:
Whether it works or not that is an amazing-looking setup. Nicely done. But I totally wish you success. :)

If it works it will be a vary stunning display.
*if* im keeping my fingers crossed...
Those limestone pieces really fitted together nicely. Even if the camp idea flops, still would make for an attractive setup with other plants. What are the "mountain's " dimensions?
this is true. it's aquarium safe, so id probably grow some buces off of it. mountain is pretty much 1 ft tall. pot is 2.5" x 8.5" x 11"

That looks fantastic! I'd try star moss of some sort, I have some small growing type that covers my nepenthes pots rather quickly and is pretty much impossible to kill.

Last edited:
Whether it works or not that is an amazing-looking setup. Nicely done. But I totally wish you success. :)

Thanks very much, blue!

That looks fantastic! I'd try star moss of some sort, I have some small growing type that covers my nepenthes pots rather quickly and is pretty much impossible to kill.
star moss is definitely a candidate. But I don't have enough to collect from my own pots. Trying to find some online, but coming up short. If you'd like to send some my way (of course, I will recompense) I'm totally game.

Last edited:
I was actually going to do some repotting this weekend, so I'd be happy to send some your way! Shoot me a PM with your shipping info when you get the chance.

Seeing as most of my plants are currently in 2" pots, it won't be a ton but if you start by wedging some LFS in the rock, 'seed' it with the moss and keep it moist, it should grow in quickly to look like the pic below.

N. aristolochiodes SG JH (1/26/17) by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Gonna. Be. Dope.

Worst case scenario: you could have an automated misting system, I'm sure that would work.

can't do that. will have to deal with daily misting. maybe i can use the shower....

Just bring it into the shower with you every day. :water:

got some moss, need more moss...i dont know how i feel about it so far, namely because the moss looks patchy... it will be a while before it gets better. certain spots will be left open until campies make their home.
SjsYlTj.jpg

Last edited:
That's going to look killer when it fills in.

ended up going with a minimalistic approach. too much moss seemed overwhelming.
campanulata from andreas finally arrived, but i only received 3 of 5. im only mildly infuriated...

oh well, here's a couple of potato shots to help wet the palette and so you guys didnt think i died or something...
RKzpqXt
7W5sXiE.jpg
YFMZZ9H.jpg
ayHFbwg.jpg

that's it for now. hope things grow out quickly.

Back