What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding Feces

• Thread starter Acro
  • Start date
It's known that several pitchers digest the droppings of visiting mammals and amphibians. So as I was cleaning out my Leopard Gecko cage, it dawned on me that I might be throwing away a precious resource. I mean, what are Leopard Gecko droppings, but digested insects and some vitamin and calcium powder. And so, I recently placed a piece of dried Gecko droppings in a newly opened N. maxima pitcher. Even though the gecko dropping was dry, it sank quickly. Anyone else ever try using animal droppings in your traps? :D

Last edited:
This is actually a very logical idea and I am interested in what experiences keepers of rodents have to share about this, I know plenty of people have thought about this but are afraid to ask

Scatologists? :) what do people think about using rodent droppings as fertilizer for certain neps?

let us know about how the nep turns out from eating the gecko stuff hahahah i'd almost expect the plant to prefer partially digested insectivore scat in place of insects themselves

to add to that, anyone tried using that gut-loading food for crickets on their cps?

Some growers use guano in-pitcher with reported success. I have a budgie although the few times I've tried using the droppings, the pitcher lifespan seems much shorter than ones fed with similar amounts of fish pellets.

The defecations of birds and herps tend to contain urates (concentrated utricularia acid -- the white to very pale yellow chalky material) along with the fecal matter. If you are including the urates from your budgie, perhaps that is having an impact?

Last edited:
It may provide some benefit, but I can't see it being even close to the results other more common fertilization methods can provide. IMO, it's a lot easier to just use fish food, Osmocote or Maxsea, rather than mess around with reptile poop lol. Just my .02 :)

The defecations of birds and herps tend to contain urates (concentrated utricularia acid -- the white to very pale yellow chalky material) along with the fecal matter. If you are including the urates from your budgie, perhaps that is having an impact?

You mean uric acid? :)
That may have an impact, or just the extremely high nutrient concentrations may shorten the pitcher life.

Back