What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Inermis Flower

• Thread starter Smoop94
  • Start date
Good evening,
I have a 3.5 years old nepenthes Inermis which is starting to bloom.
Inermis — imgbb.com
It's my first blooming nepenthes and I am not even sure of its sex (male, right?). I'm looking for a suitable partner, preferably another Nepenthes Inermis but I'm open to make any sweet hybrib.
I'll post a better picture in the next days my camera died and my cellphone makes terrible photos.:-(

PS: I hope this is the right section to post this kind of thread.

Last edited:
Congrats, it does look male.

The flowers don't look open yet, so hard to say.

The flowers don't look open yet, so hard to say.

Except bud shape can be a very good indicator, especially if you need pollen sent to you in advance so the timing's right. Male flower buds are typically spherical while female flower buds are shaped like American footballs/rugby balls (the elongate shape is because of the ovary).

That looks male to me too.

The photo suggests male, but since it's blurry it's hard to call for sure. Shape of the buds does tend to be a good early indicator though, and while yours may buck the trend a bit since the inflorescence is relatively small, young male inflorescences tend to look like baby corn, females not as much.
Also, once you figure out which your plant is, letting people know at least which country you are in since it's not on the mini profile might better help finding a Nepenthes of the opposite sex; pollen being transported overseas can run into both customs issues as well as length of transit; set out for more than a week and it often loses viability.

and while yours may buck the trend a bit since the inflorescence is relatively small, young male inflorescences tend to look like baby corn, females not as much.

This isn't a great indicator because flower density is completely species-dependent (ever seen an N. adnata inflorescence? One of the sparsest in the whole genus) and varies as the inflorescence elongates. Especially with a picky species like N. inermis, I'm not surprised that the flower count isn't that high on a cultivated specimen's first ever flower. According to Jebb and Cheek in Flora Malesiana (2001), N. inermis males have up to 50 one-flowered partial peduncles, which is still relatively few flowers per inflorescence and only roughly double what the picture in the original post has.

Last edited:
I live in Italy therefore it would be better if the other grower lives in europe too.
Here's a better photo I took today.
in fl — imgbb.com
If anyone has a female plant and is looking for pollen i would be very happy to ship it. Needless to say that I'd like to receive a good portion of the produced seeds.:-D

Back