What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland or highland?

• Thread starter gkjr
  • Start date
How do you tell if a hybrid nepenthes takes the traits of a lowland or highland? I have a

Nepenthes 'Brunei Red' X (Spectabilis 'Giant' X Ventricosa)

From what I found from research
Brunei red-lowland
Spectablilis -highland
Ventricosa - intermediate

I don't know if my research is right but that is what I found out. Right now I am growing it in a lowland tank and it seems to enjoy it. It has thrown out 4 basal shoots so far and a couple of pitchers. I know I probably have answered my own question but I want to just make sure long term health is good for it. TIA

If it is doing well where it is right now I wouldn't change anything.

Generally the climate preferences average out so a plant with highland and lowland parents can be grown well in intermediate conditions. However, hybrids tend to be adaptable and, like you're doing, can be grow in conditions meant mostly for one of the parents.

What Grey Moss said is basically usually the case. Each hybrid will be slightly different though. In my experience I have found that plants that have an N. ampullaria parent seem to take more of a shine towards lowland temperatures than other hybrids. The more complex the hybrid is, and the more highland/intermediate parents it has, generally speaking, the more adaptable it will be.

Generally the climate preferences average out so a plant with highland and lowland parents can be grown well in intermediate conditions. However, hybrids tend to be adaptable and, like you're doing, can be grow in conditions meant mostly for one of the parents.

What Grey Moss said is basically usually the case. Each hybrid will be slightly different though. In my experience I have found that plants that have an N. ampullaria parent seem to take more of a shine towards lowland temperatures than other hybrids. The more complex the hybrid is, and the more highland/intermediate parents it has, generally speaking, the more adaptable it will be.

So with it having 2 part highland/intermediate. Do you think if I take one of the Basel shoots and grow it in highland conditions it would do just as good as it is in lowland conditions? I know it would be a exterminate.

So with it having 2 part highland/intermediate. Do you think if I take one of the Basel shoots and grow it in highland conditions it would do just as good as it is in lowland conditions? I know it would be a exterminate.

Just as good? Well, taking a basal unrooted and putting it into unfamiliar conditions immediately probably wouldn't be the best idea, since significant changes in conditions always gives these plants a shock. Overall, this hybrid might like highland, intermediate, or lowland conditions more, but shouldn't suffer overly in any of them (as long as you don't go ultra highland or ultra lowland). Will it grow just as good in highland conditions as it would lowland conditions? Maybe, though the difference in preference between those conditions probably isn't very big, and the plant is going to experience some shock and stalling whenever you change the conditions, even if the conditions it is changed to aren't actually worse for it.

Thanks everyone for explaining this to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course the basal would go through some initial shock after splitting and moving to a new environment. Honestly though, you should try growing that same cross in multiple environments and see what happens. That is the only real way to find out what that specific cross actually prefers.

One thing to consider is that half of the genes are LL. You could cross amp x [(lowii x hamata) x (ovata x villosa)] but it would still be half LL genes. Your cross is likely very adaptable and would probably even acclimate to a windowsill.

One thing to consider is that half of the genes are LL. You could cross amp x [(lowii x hamata) x (ovata x villosa)] but it would still be half LL genes. Your cross is likely very adaptable and would probably even acclimate to a windowsill.

I was actually wondering if I could get it to grow on a window. That will be the first thing I try more then likely

Back