What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Roots

• Thread starter rico
  • Start date
I've been growing orchids for about 8 years but I'm pretty new to Nepenthes. I was repotting this N. inermis and I realized it had so few roots. Is this okay, what is normal for a young Nepenthes? Also, is there a way to induce the growth of more roots if it currently has too little? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
29192aed718065f2d9fbb44faab4591b.jpg

-Carter K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, so generally nepenthes roots are thin and wiry like in your picture so that is not an indication of anything wrong. But if you want to encourage better root growth you could try growing it a bit dryer.

Some Nepenthes don't develop much root mass, I believe due to them growing largely epiphytically. Particular plants can just have abnormally poor root development as well which can cause problems down the road.

Nepenthes inermis in particular doesn't seem to have much root mass when young, especially TC ones. Your plant looks healthy so I probably wouldn't cut back on the water, which might put too much stress on it. A live sphagnum top dressing/cushion might encourage some near-surface root growth, Nepenthes roots love to run through live sphagnum.

I gave mine a repot late last year, and it's only gone up to a 6" pot after growing it for all these at least a good 6 years. For comparison, some of my 6 year old plants really could use a 10" pot. Here it is right after repot last year, and it's at least a good 3' tall:

P8280056_zpsrrss3jjs.jpg

Some species just don't grow extensive roots, as long as the plant looks happy I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Very impressive inermis thez!

Thank you all for the advice! It seems okay as of now so I'll keep it moister like I normally have it.

Back